Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Allegheny48 posted:

Pullman did do advertising of their line of freight cars and a box car is a perfect billboard for such things.  Other model manufacturers have modeled this car in different scales so I would think it had a real life prototype. 

I have no doubt there was a prototype for this car, but no photo's have surfaced online.  The car was probably decorated for an exhibition, then repainted and sold to a railroad afterwards.  I doubt it was in any kind of revenue service in PS paint.  After all, there were 49,999 other PS-1's already in regular service.  There should be a photo in a book or old Railway Age somewhere...

banjoflyer posted:

It was the MTH 2017 club car in O gauge...20-93717. I guess since they had the artwork at hand they thought..."Hey...why not use this?" The car has been done by Atlas in several scales also. I'm not sure if any are a model of the real thing.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the planned but never-produced 2004 SHS Bay-window caboose as a new release from MTH? AM makes a nice Bay-Window caboose but to see the usual SHS/MTH attention to detail in such a car would be stellar. Love that Rock Island model!

Mark

Micro-Trains also did one in N and MTH did one in HO, all using a PS-1 model car.  If the club car has the fishbelly underframe as illustrated, it will even have the K-system brake which was outlawed by the time the PS-1's were built.  Other scales get a proper carbody, S gets a cartoon.

I don't think we'll ever see the bay window caboose envisioned by SHS from MTH. 

However, my thinking is the club car would have been an excellent opportunity to introduce one of the yet to be re-released cars like the EV caboose, 3-bay PS-2 covered hopper or any of the open twin hopper cars.  But, I have the growing feeling with each passing year MTH has less and less interest pursuing in S.

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

A couple of final thoughts about the 2019 MTHRCC car.

I can understand doing an "eye catching" paint job for the club car.  That's not the issue.  The issue is because it's proclaiming to be a model of the 50,000th PS-1 boxcar (and a one-off car to boot) on a blatantly wrong body style.

Yeah, I know...  You have to use what you got.  Still...  Because it's a model of a late 1930's era rebuilt boxcar proclaiming to be "the latest and greatest" from Pullman Standard in 1953, it doesn't even pass the "stand in" test.

Lest you good folks out there consider me a "rivet counter," that's further from the truth.  I've posted photo's here many times of equipment I own that isn't 100% accurate.  The realities of S scale practically requires some bending the of rules.

Here are some paint jobs that could have been done instead that when applied to the USRA rebuilt boxcar would pass the "stand in test" IMO:

40' Boxcar C&IM 1665040' Boxcar Monon 938340' Boxcar NC&STL 2260440' Boxcar TP&W 5035

But, what's done is done.  Maybe I'm just an old phart getting older and phartier...

Rusty

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 40' Boxcar C&IM 16650
  • 40' Boxcar Monon 9383
  • 40' Boxcar NC&STL 22604
  • 40' Boxcar TP&W 5035
Last edited by Rusty Traque

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com