Skip to main content

Have the new 21" 20th Century cars and many of them have trucks that are rubbing against the bottoms of the cars, causing the car to not run smoothly and the locomotive to struggle (wheel slip).

You can see in the picture that the trucks have scraped the plastic on the bottom of the cars and continue to catch there as the cars roll along.

Is there a trick for adjusting the trucks so they do not come into contact with the bottom of the cars?

Many thanks!

Attachments

Images (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Have the new 21" 20th Century cars and many of them have trucks that are rubbing against the bottoms of the cars, causing the car to not run smoothly and the locomotive to struggle (wheel slip).

You can see in the picture that the trucks have scraped the plastic on the bottom of the cars and continue to catch there as the cars roll along.

Is there a trick for adjusting the trucks so they do not come into contact with the bottom of the cars?

Many thanks!

You have two choices, if the trucks can be removed easily than a thin washer may help. My choice is to call Lionel and warranty them out. These are not cheap.

On closer inspection of my two sets of cars, the issue seems isolated to those cars that have 3 trucks, impacting the 2 diner cars and the RPO car. Issue appears to be that the metal chassis bends downward toward the ends of the cars causing the outside truck to come in contact with the metal chassis. Tried switching out washers, but there is not enough room for another/different washer if you want to get the clip back on to the post that attaches the trucks to to the chassis. Guess this will be a warranty claim for 3 out of the 6 cars . . .

On closer inspection of my two sets of cars, the issue seems isolated to those cars that have 3 trucks, impacting the 2 diner cars and the RPO car. Issue appears to be that the metal chassis bends downward toward the ends of the cars causing the outside truck to come in contact with the metal chassis. Tried switching out washers, but there is not enough room for another/different washer if you want to get the clip back on to the post that attaches the trucks to to the chassis. Guess this will be a warranty claim for 3 out of the 6 cars . . .

If you so desire, can the car frames be straightened out? Removed from the shell and carefully apply pressure? The dark horse in this is the special couplers that need to slide as well.

@ThatGuy posted:

If you so desire, can the car frames be straightened out? Removed from the shell and carefully apply pressure? The dark horse in this is the special couplers that need to slide as well.

I actually tried to bend it while I had the car disassembled. The metal is much stronger than I thought it would be and wouldn’t budge under some decent pressure. Didn’t want to over due it with all of the ads on details on the bottom of the car.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.