Skip to main content

Well I just discovered my GG1 has a broken axle in the very front truck.  I cannot understand how this happened but it is out and needs repair.  I just happen to have in my old spare parts a complete axle assembly with the proper matching wheels for replacement.  Now all I need to know  is how the side plate comes off.  I notice two locator pins.  Anyone know how this is removed/reinstalled?  Pressed in somehow?  Thanks for any help, I've had this engine for 40 years and need it up and running.  Horn still works!

o gauger

Last edited by o gauger
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A broken axle, that's unusual.  Front truck, how do you know it's the front truck? Could be the rear truck. (just messin' with you ) I googled "lionel gg1 truck axle replacement" and got a few hits.  It looks like the truck sides are die cast and are inserted into the steel plate frame and then "wedged" (tech talk, I think) in place with a press.  There should be enough wiggle room to just pop the new axle in place using a screw driver, strategically placed for leverage.  I've done this many times on postwar freight car trucks and as long as you are gentle the axle can be replaced/inserted. Additionally, I would not remove the plate unless you absolutely had to. That would require loosening the wedged part which could result in weakening the die cast metal in that area.

Steve

Last edited by RideTheRails

Don't know what caused this at all.  Ran great for me for years.  Will try and get a  pix up in time when I get a chance.  Maybe a weakness there in axle since date of manufacture or previous owner had this damage and never noticed it.  I bought it used about 40 years back but run it just once in awhile.  Never really looked at the axle very carefully since engine ran just fine.  I cannot get to repair today but will very soon.

o gauger

o gauger posted:

pilot truck.  Here is a pix.  Broke as it just barely cleared the wheel.

o gauger

that's insane.....it must have been bent and somebody before you attempted to straighten many many moons ago...it finally gave way after all this time....Marty is right, just pry barely enough to slip the new set in and you will be good.....hope it all goes well....do you have parts to fix it? If not, Ive got plenty..

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.