Skip to main content

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there has done a conversion on some 3 rail cars to work on 2 rail layouts? Im not sure how hard it would be to switch the trucks and wheels from a lionel to something like MTH or something I can run on 2 rail. The reason I ask I had a friend just give me 6-8 cars but all 3 rail. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike,

As you point out, it's not difficult to convert most freight cars from 3R to 2R.  Some modelers prefer to just switch out the wheelsets and remove the lobster claw couplers. 

To do that all you need to do is replace the wheelsets with scale wheelsets such as those from Intermountain and replace the couplers with Kadee knunckle couplers.

Sometimes, it's better to replace the whole truck and that will depend a lot on the appearance and effect you're going for. 

Coupler replacement is the same when replacing the whole truck. 

Some cars you may need to drill and tap holes for mounting screws, as well as build up a mounting pad.  For determining the right height for the couplers I would recommend a Kadee #812 Height Gauge.  Most common Kadee couplers these days are the #740 and #745 but you can also use the slightly larger 800 series couplers, such as the #805 for most applications.

What kind of freight cars did you get?

Mike,

Post a photo of the cars and someone likely has converted them.   In terms of just changing the wheeelsets, if they are Lionel cars with spinning bearing caps, then you'll need to look for NWSL wheelsets to replace them.

Originally Posted by mike g.:
Reply By Mike DeBerg: 3 rail to 2 rail rolling stock conversionHi there Mike, All the cars I got are lionel cars from a 3 rail set. I have done some some study. I think I might just change the wheels and go to Kadee cuoplers.

Actually, if you want to go the cheap route (retirees always need to save money) you can use an Atlas/Roco car with original Talgo trucks to link converted Lionel cars with their original couplers with Scale cars which have Kadee Couplers. For some reason, the old Atlas cars with couple with Kadee. I have been doing that for years! Also, if you have any of the old Atlas/Roco wheelsets, they will fit right into MTH 3-rail trucks. I have also done that on two cars. That way, you can run them on 2 or 3 rail track!

It seems that Lionel "scale" Standard O cars are the biggest challenge (I could be wrong.)  I've read of a few ways to 2 rail the trucks.

Has anyone come up with a good method?  If replacing the truck, what is a good truck to use?  

The method described on the O Scale Kings website leaves a little to be desired.  Getting the plastic bearing out to insert the spacer for Intermountain trucks, many times results in distraction of the bearing.  Does anyone know of someone that sells replacement bearings?  That said, the gap between the wheels and the side frame is a distraction.

Isn't there anyone that has a straight answer to my questions?  I see 2 railers making the transition and using Lionel rolling stock.  What was used for trucks/wheels?  NWSL wheels are not a direct replacement for Lionel trucks, although they are for 3 rail trucks, without spacers.  Again, what's the solution?  

My main interest is in converting Lionel steam era reefers.  Atlas reefers have a disintegrating bolster problem, so removing the screw holding the truck may result in a distorted bolster.  Weaver reefers are easy but not plentiful with Santa Fe markings.  Brass is the ultimate solution but building up a train at nearly $400 a car takes a while. 

Last edited by marker

I have converted Lionel Scale cars to 2-rail using both Atlas & Protocraft trucks. Here are 2 images of the conversion. I used Atlas-O Andrews trucks for the PS-4 flat car & Protocraft 100-ton trucks for the Husky cars.

It is my opinion that it is much easier to replace the 3-rail trucks on Lionel Scale cars compared to MTH Premier hidden screw trucks. Both the PS-4 flat car & Husky car had Inch Size fine-pitch 4-48 screws to secure the trucks to the underside of the car. Adding the Kadee couplers have the same level of ease / difficulty as similar cars from any manufacturer – K-Line, MTH Premier or Atlas-O.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

IMG_3729 [800x600)

IMG_3905 [1024x768)

Slide4

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_3729 (800x600)
  • IMG_3905 (1024x768)
  • Slide4
Last edited by naveenrajan
Originally Posted by mike g.:
Reply By mwb: 3 rail to 2 rail rolling stock conversion
Hi there, All the cars I got are lionel from a 3 rail system. I think I will just change wheels and go to Kadee couplers.

I understood that from the start - was asking more of which specific car types....

So it goes...

Howard;

I have converted Lionel PS-1 boxcars and reefers using Intermountain trucks and couplers by just placing a 2-56 washer (can't remember if it's one or two) between the truck and the bolster.  Tap and drill for KDs and the add PSC uncoupling levers.

If you keep the Lionel trucks, NWSL #8287-4 33" wheelsets Athearn point axle will work.

Allan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.