Skip to main content

I was poking around on the auction site and I found a listing for "LIONEL FasTrack 2 MAIN LINE REMOTE SWITCHES LOOP TRACK PACK 4'x8'" which looked like a nice/straightforward layout for a sheet of plywood.

I then opened up SCARM and tried to recreate what was in the listing, sure enough I see a few weird things.

1)  The auction poster says the final O36 curve can be made with the 4 1/4 O36 curves which are included with the switches, is this true? 

2)  I don't think this layout is really a "fit" for a single piece of 4'x8' plywood, right? It's going to basically go right up to the edge of the sheet of the plywood or hang over a little bit, kind of not-so-good I think.

Anyway, it seems like a good idea which needs perhaps some tweaking, although I don't think I'd run it on a single piece of plywood.

Thoughts?

Rich

Parts list:

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Murnane,

From your original post, you are correct. It doesn't fit on a 4 x 8. Yes, the 036 switches include a 1/4 turn piece to add to the divergence of the switch.

Even in the Lionel 2014 Track and Power Catalog, many of the 4 x 8 layouts don't fit on a 4 x 8. The one you are discussing is on p.14.

The four 036 turns with a five in the middle leave a comfortable roadbed to edge. If you add a 1.75" piece you take the roadbed right to the edge. You need 031 in the center loop.

FastTrack is almost 3.5" wide, so in SCARM, I set my start point 3.5" in from the edge. That leaves about 5/8" 0r .625 edge clearance to roadbed edge.

Here's a double loop squeezed to the edge on a 4 x 8. I didn't use the four switch pieces, but they would replace one 036 curve if you did.

PS. Zoom on the layout plan and use the Snipping Tool in Win Vista or 7,8 to grab to screen view.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 4 x 8 FasTrack Double Loop
Last edited by Moonman

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.