Skip to main content

Kurt brought up his new WBB 44 ton center cab today.  We added kadee couplers and give it a new paint job.  The new logo is designed and waiting to be made into decals.  New electronics will go in tomorrow.

IMG_2299

IMG_2300

Here is a side by side comparison with a Rich Yoder brass model.

IMG_2304

IMG_2309

Dave

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_2299
  • IMG_2300
  • IMG_2304
  • IMG_2309
Last edited by David Minarik
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don,

The most glaring issue is the hood width.  The model is much too wide...which causes the cab window and door widths to be incorrect. 

!!44TonComparison

!!44TonComparison2

I asked RY and he couldn't explain it because the motors and electronics (2 rail) would fit in a scale width hood.  There are also several minor issues which can be identified by studying photos of the prototype loco or descriptions in back issues of MR and Extra 2200 South.

On the plus side, these models are a vast improvement on the Lionel "44 ton" loco.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • !!44TonComparison
  • !!44TonComparison2
Last edited by Old Goat

I really like the new WBB 44 tonners, warts and all.  I noticed the hood on the WBB does not exactly match photos of the prototype, but I'm fine with it.  Having taken apart and modified three, and bashed two, I can attest to the fact that there isn't much room, particularly width, to give away on the inside:  no doubt Williams could have designed custom boards for this model to allow it to narrow the hood, etc., but I understand why they did not and I'm pleased: there is a bit more room inside for other "stuff" and I think that is a plus (smoke? I hope, eventually).  It's a nice little model which is somewhat challenged as to both traction and power, but I run my pair just about all the time.  

This thread and the mods being done by Gunrunnerjohn and others interest me a lot.  So far all I did was wire the motors in series, make cosmetic changes to turn one into a calf, and put a bigger speaker (needed) in the calf.  I plan to wait and make more mods later . . . 

Last edited by Lee Willis

Thanks for the nice comments!  

I haven't looked at the motor setup yet so I do not know if this would be a candidate for a PS2 or 3 upgrade.  An HO tach reader might be the only option.  The ERR option is nothing new.  Mike Thompson did one years ago with proto couplers.  There is a ton of room in this engine compared to the Yoder model.

As for aesthetics and dimensions, they are not so much that I could not enjoy the model.

Again, thanks for the nice comments!

Dave

Originally Posted by David Minarik:

Here it is with a cruise commander installed.  Kurt will install the sound board at a later date.  This was a pretty easy upgrade and there is plenty of room inside this little engine.

Dave

Wow! Looks great, Dave! And that video also looks great...low camera angle, steel mill background, etc. Very much like the real deal!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.