Skip to main content

hey thanks what do you mean correct PS32 Steam Chain files? I am building a new engine so i can user any PS3 Northern file. I did see the MTH site required some Upgrade consumer Files, which i fond their were 4 files listed in the down load but nothing in the PS3 manual????? The harness for front running, Cab and ditch lights would be great where do you find that info? Thank You John

Last edited by DMurf

The standard MTH smoke unit uses two sixteen ohm resistors in parallel yielding 8 ohms across the heater output.

They're correct about the firmware, it's the FLASH code for the PS32 board. 

I've attached the PS32_Steam-CPF.zip FLASH code, it's the proper code for use with a 3V PS/2 sound file with the steam upgrade kit.

Attachments

demur  the files you are dealing with are for ps3/2 board Not ps 3 your confusing yourself!

50-1911 and 50-1912 kits understand!

https://mthtrains.com/

the engine kits are ps 3/2 board sets one for diesels and one for steam.  and you just look up engine item number on mth web sight and download the sound file for your item engine number and chain files which setup your board for the engine you installed in it! 

Alan

Last edited by Alan Mancus

The steam kit has one output for lighting for the locomotive, the headlight.  I think before you go farther, you should read over the kit to see what the capabilities of the kit are!

When I do steam with class lights, cab light, and firebox, I either power them from the headlight output or from track power.  You don't have the options you do with the diesel kit or a factory steam PS/3 installation.

Alan and John, 

I am installing these boards into 1950 American Flyer Engines both Steam and Diesel, I have done PS2 and PS3.  I load PS3 installs with PS3 sound files and they work, I never saw or picked up in PS32???

I just looked at the PS3 Diesel Kit i have to see that board is totally different shape board. All my PS2 kits looked the same. 

Now you say PS32, i have no idea what that means or what differences it implies. I have begged MTH for training on Upgrades at my expense for 4 years and they always say no. I have fried one board in the last 5 years. But my installed are working and everyone loves the results. I hate not having all the information needed. 

IF you guys can help me get smarter i would gladly reimburse you as needed. My 1948 American Flyer Hudson with PS2 pulling out with chuff and puff looks like a real train leaving the station. My 1982 American Freedom Alco Diesel has all the PFA from the MTH American Freedom O gauge in its PS2. The NYC Express from American Models is the PS3 with MTH NYC Express sounds and its my wifes train as she is a New Yorker.  Folks see my stuff and like it and some ask me to do their engines.  my local hobby store in Leesburg Bill is a great guy but he will not touch my S Gauge. He will help me program and update.  All I know i got from the book and in lone and experience. Before MTH DCS I did dozens of TMCC conversions. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Sincerely, Dennis Murphey, Ashburn VA.

The PS-3 Diesel kit is a true OEM PS-3.  It runs LEDs and is the exact same board in a New MTH PS-3 Diesel.  So you load complete flash and sf for the PS-3 diesel engine you want.

Steam is NOT REALLY PS-3.  OEM MTH PS-3 is a 2 board system with one in tender and one in engine and it also uses LEDs.

The PS-3 Steam kit sold is really a PS-32 board which uses a modified board set so that original BULB are used.  Because of this the PS-32 board uses special PS-32 flash codes only.  While the bottom board is a True PS-3 diesel board, it has a special header for pins, not connectors.  The top daughter board has connectors that mimic PS-2 3V.  Do a search on this topic here and you will get all the answers you need.  G

I loaded the Firmware per GunRunner John and the PS3 manual, as listed PS32 all 4 files. I found no change, good or bad, still no headlight and no smoke (Heater coil getting no power). Tried to set chuff rate and it will only play 3 per rev. Steam Whistle is strong and bell, crew chatter clank, uncoupler etc. I will begin to explore the forum for help. Thanks DMurf aka Dennis

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.