Skip to main content

The rocket launcher accessory is great and I have been looking for some extra rockets and Flat cars. The issue is the rockets (on that auction site) all have tips that look like they were repaired using the kitchen sponge. Has anyone found a good material and method to repair these?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was thinking that you could use the rock molding latex that is used to make your own molds and cast some. This photo of the 6-39457 Rocket tip looks like a soft molded material that's hollow. I can't think of any "nipple" items to repurpose. (Just went through grandkids growing up)

6175_Rocket_Tip

it appears about as long as a pencil eraser removed from the collar. They would be a little hard to shoot around the layout, but you could shape those and paint with some latex paint.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 6175_Rocket_Tip

The 6175 style rockets originally had a rectangular piece of foam inserted in the nose. It looks very much like the foam material you can purchase at crafts stores to for padding / stuffing.

Something like this: Joanns fabrics

The stuff Lionel used looked much more yellow to me, but that may have been due to age.
Don't know where you could find small pieces. Maybe that's why the ones you see have sponge.

The flatcar pictured below has a reproduction rocket. The foam looks fairly close to the original to me. Is that what you are calling "sponge"?

By the way, that picture is from EBay, the seller does not identify the rocket as being a reproduction. Buyer beware.

Attachments

Images (1)

The original tips were small squares of white / yellow sponge foam. Small box liners, like what Athearn locomotives used to be packed in, old foam mattresses is the type of foam rubber. Cut into a square shape oversized and use the original retaining clip on the nose cone to hold in place. If you can't find any, drop me an email and I'll mail you a chunk.

I must not have an original rocket, it came with a newer version of the launcher.  Here is what I have and it seems to be an improvement over the original white one (I did call that one the sponge). This material is sponge like but fairly dense.  I like the appearance being more tip like than squared off.  Carl, I am not a latex expert but I don't think that is what it is.  Chuck, could the original material be shaped like this somehow and is it dense?.  I assume the tip is glued down with something like GOOP?

104_4482

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 104_4482

I must not have an original rocket, it came with a newer version of the launcher.

Sorry, when someone posts a question about an item using a postwar item number, I often assume they are asking about a postwar piece. The comments and picture I posted above pertain to the original Postwar Lionel 6175 flatcar and the Postwar Lionel 175 rocket launching platform.

The reproduction rockets that I see available are fairly close to the Postwar ones.

Modern era reissues of Postwar items often have had some modifications done. The rocket that Hokie 71 pictured above looks like an improvement to me.

The one with the red tip is from the newer (about 10 years ago now) rocket launcher. The parts dept did have extras available at one point.

That P/N is 610-4102-040. It is denser than the original foam tip.

Strange, but I don't think Lionel ever re-issued the 6175 flatcar with rocket to complement the re-run rocket launcher.

I'm not sure how to reproduce the red tip.

Chuck Sartor posted:

CW, the 175 reissue (and original postwar) rocket launcher did not come with a flatcar. I was talking about Lionel never did a postwar celebration series 6175 flatcar with rocket. And never made available except for very few replacement rockets for the launcher.

This was never actually made? Posted in previous reply.

Lionel Lines O27 Flatcar (Black) w/ Rocket #6175 SKU: 6-39457  2007 catalog vol.2

#6175_PWC_Rocket_Car

Attachments

Images (1)
  • #6175_PWC_Rocket_Car

CW, the 175 reissue (and original postwar) rocket launcher did not come with a flatcar. I was talking about Lionel never did a postwar celebration series 6175 flatcar with rocket. And never made available except for very few replacement rockets for the launcher.

Thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that the Postwar one did come with a car.
I always liked the 175 Rocket launcher and always meant to get one. Madison Hardware had them in the window for $79.95 or something like that. But somehow I always found other ways to spend my train money, and never picked one up.

I picked up what I thought was a junker at a flea market last summer. I purchased it because it had a complete original rocket.  It turned out to be better than I had thought, and cleaned up into a useable piece.

Interesting information and neat ideas  and history.   The one I have is apparently called a 6175 flat car with rocket (see the auction site link), hence the confusion on old vs. new numbers.  The one moonman shows must be this one.  Maybe I need to give up on upgrading an old one and go for one of these.  Every time I see something on the big auction site, people want a ton of $ like $50-$70.  Here is a current example- and phooey, I can't go to York this fall!

New version with flat car and rocket

Every time I see something on the big auction site, people want a ton of $ like $50-$70. 

The asking price for many of the PWC reissues of postwar Lionel flatcars with loads have remained high. There are a couple that I wouldn't mind picking up myself. I have not seen them any less expensive at York or any other train show for that matter.

Not sure if this contributes anything. All of mine have the foam tips. Two are orig Lionel and say made by Lionel, the 3rd is an "after market"

Certainly your post contributes. Your pictures show the "built by Lionel" difference between an original postwar rocket and the reproductions.
I have not seen any other rockets (original or reproduction) with the dark colored foam yours have.

hokie71 posted:

Carl, I was just checking on the dimension when you posted. As you probably know by now the dimension seems to be 5/16.  Sounds like it can squeeze in and  hold.  How did you shape the  stuff and do you have enough to share / sell a piece?

I tried sanding it, not real good. I cut it with scissors and then sanded the tip more round. Ok. This was only a try something in 60 seconds test.

My email is in my profile. Send me a mailing address.  I'll send a piece to you to try out.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.