Skip to main content

Bought a Mint 6464-250 Western Pacific with plastic trucks 1966 version with original box. I paid enough for it and I got it it had a broken side truck. So they gave me 3 options full refund, return and they fix it or keep it with a fair price adjustment which means fix it myself.  So if they fix it it is no longer original from the factory so the value should go down. So what would you do and a fair price now? DSC06362

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC06362
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bought a Mint 6464-250 Western Pacific with plastic trucks 1966 version with original box. I paid enough for it and I got it it had a broken side truck. So they gave me 3 options full refund, return and they fix it or keep it with a fair price adjustment which means fix it myself.  So if they fix it it is no longer original from the factory so the value should go down. So what would you do and a fair price now? DSC06362

Show the seller the damaged truck and have them send you another Timken replacement, fix it yourself, just a suggestion, Good luck, 👍

Replacing a whole truck on one of these cars is tough to do while maintaing the appearance that it hasn’t been repaired. Since this is a valuable car and in very nice condition, I’d suggest procuring another more common 6464 car with the same frame and trucks and swap the whole underframe. Be sure that all the details of frame and truck construction match as there are some very subtle production changes over the years.

A New Haven 6464 might be a suitable donor.

Perhaps the seller will reimburse the value of a common 6464 car?

Replacing a whole truck on one of these cars is tough to do while maintaing the appearance that it hasn’t been repaired. Since this is a valuable car and in very nice condition, I’d suggest procuring another more common 6464 car with the same frame and trucks and swap the whole underframe. Be sure that all the details of frame and truck construction match as there are some very subtle production changes over the years.

A New Haven 6464 might be a suitable donor.

Perhaps the seller will reimburse the value of a common 6464 car?

That is a very good answer and that was the answer I was looking for. Big Thanks

Eddie How did you acquire that one. I love to hear stories how they got it. Or did you find out later that you did not know you had a rare piece?

6464-100 with the blue feather and 6464-250 box came as part of set #2223W in 1954.  I know; my Dad got it for Christmas that year, and the set and that car with the original -250 box were passed onto me when I was a kid (hence my forum name).  I did not know it was rare until I was in high school (which was a long time ago now).

Last edited by BlueFeather
@BlueFeather posted:

6464-100 with the blue feather and 6464-250 box came as part of set #2223W in 1954.  I know; my Dad got it for Christmas that year, and the set and that car with the original -250 box were passed onto me when I was a kid (hence my forum name).  I did not know it was rare until I was in high school (which was a long time ago now).

Great Story!!!!  Did not know both came with a set.

Great Story!!!!  Did not know both came with a set.

Indeed, most of the time when a #2223W "Big Haul" set becomes available these days, someone has swapped out the rare 6464-100 and its -250 box for a regular silver 6464-100 with a yellow feather.  The set also originally came with a maroon roof 2321 Lackawanna FM Train Master; these also tend to get swapped out for the more common gray roof version.

Last edited by BlueFeather

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.