Skip to main content

Adriatic posted:

There is a switcher that comes close to Lionels 44 ton, but it's closer to 144 ton and would have needed licence.  You almost have to wonder if the outcome was a compromised design to a more popular Whitcomb as only a few of these existed.  Gramps had custom one's based on Lionels.

.th-2

132 tons.  Why would you need a license?  The Wellsville Addison and Galeton bought five of the eight units GE made from Ford.

GE 132 tonner WAG 1700

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • GE 132 tonner WAG 1700
Rusty Traque posted:
Adriatic posted:

There is a switcher that comes close to Lionels 44 ton, but it's closer to 144 ton and would have needed licence.  You almost have to wonder if the outcome was a compromised design to a more popular Whitcomb as only a few of these existed.  Gramps had custom one's based on Lionels.

.th-2

132 tons.  Why would you need a license?  The Wellsville Addison and Galeton bought five of the eight units GE made from Ford.

GE 132 tonner WAG 1700

Rusty

There were 8 of these units built for Ford, a couple of 125 tonners and the rest were 132 tonners. All eight were basically the same in appearance. The WAG bought 7 of the 8 centercabs from Ford.

I can’t remember, do the MTH 44 Tonners have DCC circuitry as well, or are they strictly conventional  plus DCS? Also, is only one axle per truck powered (with both wheels of that axle having traction tires, while the unpowered wheels are only for ground? Does the little Ingersol Rand switcher from a couple of years prior to the GE have basically the same drive as the 44T, and also share the S gauge electronics?

Bill in FtL

Last edited by Bill Nielsen

The Yoder 44 tonner. Three rail.  The model was designed for two rail. 

(1.)  There are two can motors and chain drive between truck axles, that allows for all wheels to be powered.   No traction tires. 

(2.) All brass construction, window glass and an operator are missing. 

(3.) Smaller but the scale dimensions are off, width of hoods a problem. 

(4.) No electro-couplers or command control, though there has been efforts to add these features. 

Last edited by Mike CT
coach joe posted:

Just what I needed another project.  Now that I know the Fords were so big a Lionel or Williams 44 ton and some 1930s model grills will make for a good 144 ton.

The grill is why I figured they might need to be licensed. It's late 30s Ford design if Im not mistaken. I'm no copywrite lawyer but have to presume those lines are spoken for as long as possible. And even if I was I'm not sure I'd want to waste efforts messing with Ford's legal teams without good reason .

And 125t & 135t are correct, but I read they got heavier to 165t but I've only read it once, on the net, and knows where? It could have been a typo, glitch, etc...?

Michigan is home for a couple GMDH, maybe a few. There's bigger steeple cab versions too.

Adriatic, as long as you don't sell it, I don't think there is any question of copyright infringement.

Allan Miller: One note in the IR/GE boxcab:  The traction tires are not the standard MTH diesel tires, unless MTH changed in the 2018 version.  They are smaller in diameter, and even in width--I had to trim them down.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.