Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by thestumper:

Great stuff!  

I often wonder in my dimmer moments whether the English (or Germans, or Italians...) have better antiques than we do:

"Wow, look at this toy train from the 1940's!!!!"

"Gee, all I have is this dagger from the Crusades...."  

Better is in the eye of the beholder. If it means older hang on, here's a shocker!, they win easy!

Or, do my 2 stone arrowheads win? I found them in the Mich-Upper Penn. woods behind the backyard digging for fishing worms when I was young.

Tough choice! Got an Ohio shell fossil to toss?

The 10K British Pound value quoted by the expert for all those mint trains seems very low to me in comparison to the price being paid for mint antique trains in the U.S.  Just a few years ago over $300K was the selling price in the U.S. for a mint Blue Comet set found in an attic.  These British trains look to me to be more than the equivalent of that Blue Comet set.  So why the low quoted value?  Market?

Bob Nelson

PS. Speaking of arrowheads, my uncle wants to give me a bucket full of arrowheads that my great grandfather found while walking behind his draft horses as he plowed the fields on his farm in Kalamazoo, MI.   My uncle thinks they are almost worthless.  Are they?  Market?  I'm tempted to take them but I know the trouble I'll be in with my wife if I do!

Last edited by navy.seal

Bob,

Concerning those arrowheads,I am no expert.  A friend of mine here in Western Pennsylvania has accrued a world class collection of flintlocks and Indian artifacts.

He has a tremendous collection of arrowheads to go along with his firearms,powder horns,and other stuff.  I have been fortunate to have been invited to see his collection a couple of times. There is definately value in what you have.  There are probably some collectors in your area.  Sometimes they have meets just like we train people do.  I would check out the different media sources or go online to check your options.  I think that it is rather exciting to have those artifacts.

Good luck in your quest.

Norm

Norm 

Originally Posted by navy.seal:

The 10K British Pound value quoted by the expert for all those mint trains seems very low to me in comparison to the price being paid for mint antique trains in the U.S.  Just a few years ago over $300K was the selling price in the U.S. for a mint Blue Comet set found in an attic.  These British trains look to me to be more than the equivalent of that Blue Comet set.  So why the low quoted value?  Market?

Bob Nelson

Bob,

This collection was discussed a couple of weeks ago on a British forum; there the conclusion was that 10K pound was too much! Of course there are no fixed prices for antique trains anywhere.

Regards

Fred

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.