Skip to main content

Happy New Year to all!

After a nice night of letting kids play on my layout hi-balling my 0-6-0 dockside switcher ... I have an issue with the Smoke unit on my Bethlehem 6-28651

After a little bit of reading It may appear that I was damaging the smoke unit by using mega steam petroleum based smoke in the smoke unit...

Its also an outside possibility that I could have let it run out of fluid... but I don't think I let them run it out... I think it may be more realistic to assume the hi-voltage melted and warped parts of the assembly as I read elsewhere on-line

1.  How can I verify if I melted parts or just burned out the wick?

2.  Since Lionel produced many versions, under what number may I find schematics of this to aid me in my repair?  nothing I have found in Lionel seems to pull up anything other than the manual which does not have any schematics

The smoke unit does not appear to be puffing anymore... some smoke is visible inside the pipe but nothing is coming up and out.

Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks Dan!

Last edited by Red Shirt Ensign
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dan~

Go to Lionel, lionel customer service, then parts and type in dockside. I think all the diagrams and parts are the same.

This link may work.

https://www.lionel.com/custome...;submitButton=Search

I have 4 docksiders and i think all the smoke units are the same.  2 of the units i bought used had did not smoke. Both appeared to be a reed/valve problem. In one, the plastic reed (not sure what to call it) appeared to get hot and curled. The other appeared that the reed was stuck closed. I unscrewed it, gently lifted, re fastened and it worked fine.

I think I had to purchase an entire smoke unit to get the part I needed.

Good luck

I just tore into my new North Pole Central Dockside today and sure enough, I did get a new one from eBay.  I found that the reed valve was indeed stuck closed and distorted.  I carefully unpeeled it and it is just not working.  Smoke in the tube but no air through the smoke box to move it out the stack.

I tried a piece of 35mm film.  It worked for a little bit then it distorted.  I tried flipping over the original mylar and it only puffed at high speed.  

Oh, I think mylar is impervious to smoke fluids of most any nature.  It's also rated to 300F easily.  

It's the reed valve, that's the problem, the weak link.  These things smoke like the dickens when they smoke.  All I can do now is order parts from Lionel.

Last edited by paydirt68
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.