Skip to main content

i was doing my CAD homework when i had the thought of going 027 

it would be fun to make a track configuration with switches and stuff on the floor

one idea i have is taking an f3 and some streamlined passenger cars and painting them up as an ocs special

i wonder if the 1990s lionel  dash 8 can run on 027 curves

what are some other examples of 027 diesels

are the old sd60m's from like 15 years ago 027 compatable

are all the service station sets 027 compatable

one problem i do have with 027 is i tend to get small cuts on my fingers and it is sometimes hard to assemble

and i have been looking at some sets like the grand national set and the rocky mountain special set and some other sets

Last edited by paigetrain
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The early 90s Dash-8 will run on O-27, at least the 4-axle one will. Have not tried it with a six axle unit.

Actually most 'traditional' diesels will run on O-27, though not all look graceful doing it. Lionel Alco FA and RS3, NW-2, 44-tonner, Budd RDC, GP 7/9, are all good candidates for O-27 operation. With larger engines (like the F3s and the Dash-8) you get into trouble with the switches--the fuel tank bangs into the cover over the switch mechanism--but they do OK on the curved track itself.

If the switch housing is giving you trouble with Lionel switches then go over to Gargraves or Ross switches as they have a small side mounted motor and won't get in the way like a Lionel 027 switch motor does. You will need adapter pins to go to Gargraves or Ross.

Something I did to an older Lionel 027 switch base as it was going to be trashed otherwise, I put a DZ-1000 switch machine on it and it works great, nothing to hit on the switch machine.

Lee Fritz

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.