Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think this is what you are trying to do:

Aylas O Oval Figure 8

I used SCARM to generate the above layout.  All of the joints connect within the default tolerances.  The small track pieces I used were 1.75" and 5.5".  Two 1.75" sections were used on either side of the crossover, and two 5.5" and one 1.75" were used to close the straight sections.

With predefined track pieces it is almost 100% guaranteed that you will not close all gaps especially when diagonals are involved.  Sometimes you can force the ends together and the distortion will is spread out over a long section of straights and curves and not be noticeable.

There is a very small gap in the top and bottom straight sections, approximately 0.08" or 1/12th of an inch.  Without cutting two custom pieces you will have to distort the plan.  The best place will be in the O72 half circles.  Construct the crossover complete with forcing the straight sections to connect to the switches. Instead of all 90s the crossover will be something like 91x89x91x89 degrees.  Then add the half circles forcing them to connect in the midpoint.

Jan

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Aylas O Oval Figure 8
Last edited by Jan

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.