Skip to main content

I am finishing up my coal yard, and would like to get an old fashion coal delivery truck, that was used to deliver coal to homes. I still remember my back home friend who's parents still got coal that way in the '60's. Work men filled canvas bags and walked it to the house where the coal chute was. I hope someone has made these. Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just so we're all on the same page in our imagination, are these the sort of trucks we're pining for?......

Coal Truck

coal truck 2

If so, ditto my interest, also.

A few years ago I was talking with Clare Gilbert of Sylvan Models.  He indicated he was working on development of an HO resin model kit for this sort of 'scissors' dump coal truck.  I asked him to do the same for us O gauge folks (referencing the gorgeous Divco Helms Bakery truck he did!).   I don't think he ever finished the project.....for either gauge, sadly.

OTOH, there are some really fine diecast metal producers in the 1:43 realm.  Perhaps they could be persuaded?

Of course, there's always 'bashing' a small dump truck into a facsimile using some strip styrene, rod, a derelict hydraulic piston.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Another challenge to our patience.....and mortality clock!

KD

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Coal Truck
  • coal truck 2
Last edited by dkdkrd
Tom M posted:

This might work, with a new paint job and some new decals. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371844711734

This before/after shows you what some dullcoat and simply weathering (along with a real wood deck) can do for this:

As for coal deliveries, nobody was getting them by the time I was a kid, but they probably never got them in any era where I grew up in North Florida. But I had an uncle in NE Tennessee that had what looked like a coal chute into his basement. I never thought to ask but even as a kid, I assumed that was what it was for, when the house had first been built.

I've been looking for one in, or close to O scale for years. (I even had a post like yours on here a year or so ago.) Here's a picture I have in my photo file. It's bigger than O scale (10") and I probably found it in a Google search. It was probably from a toy auction. I think a die cast company could sell a gang of these type of coal truck if they ever made one. The last picture is how we got coal at my house when I was a kid in the 50s.   GuyArcade 244 Cast Iron Mack High Coal Dump Truck 10 inarcade coal truckcoal truck

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Arcade 244 Cast Iron Mack High Coal Dump Truck  10 in
  • arcade coal truck
  • coal truck
prrjim posted:

Go to "diecast Direct" website.    There are about a dozen choices from about $12 up to about 100

Went there.

?????

What were your search words?  (I used 'coal truck'....which gave me a 1:43 similar to Lee's, above...and 'dump truck', for which the 1:43, 1:50 choices were more dump truckish than coal truckish.)

Thanks for any further help...

KD

dkdkrd posted:
prrjim posted:

Go to "diecast Direct" website.    There are about a dozen choices from about $12 up to about 100

Went there.

?????

What were your search words?  (I used 'coal truck'....which gave me a 1:43 similar to Lee's, above...and 'dump truck', for which the 1:43, 1:50 choices were more dump truckish than coal truckish.)

Thanks for any further help...

KD

I hope he offers insight as well. Only thing that coal pulled up was a pickup truck, which was nice, but not what I'm looking for.

When l was a kid, and had the job if breaking big chunks of coal into little ones with a sledge, before they ran natural gas down our street, we got our coal delivered by dump truck direct from the east Kentucky mine. The Matchbox 1938 IH model, of which l just grabbed several off the bay, or the Spec Cast models, are perfect to bash into examples as shown in the IH ads above. I never saw the lift type coal trucks in my area.

For some reason I can't seem to find where I can comment to each one of the responses, but thanks to all for your insights; and I see I am not the only one. I might have to settle for a pick up truck idea for now the way it seems. No large dump trucks for me. The smaller home delivery trucks are what I am after. I searched online for this, and found many of the pictures you have posted. One of those would have been great.

The ones I remember in Milwaukee were more hopper like. The trucks were filled with coal in this hopper. When the truck got to a neighborhood home, the hopper was raised straight up a few feet. This exposed smaller chutes that a worker would put his canvas bag under the chute, pull a handle and fill the bag. He then had to  sling it up on his shoulder, and walk this to their chute which was extended into the basement coal bin, and dump the coal down the chute. This concept had to be used where the houses were close together, and the street was further away i.e. the truck couldn't just back up to the side of a house. Now THAT type of truck would be REALLY neat! I was surprised to see that there were no pictures of this type of truck so far in my search.

Great topic today. Thanks.

I would love to see coal delivery trucks in 1:48!  In the meantime, I've had to settle for this nice 1:50 scale White dump truck from Spec Cast.  Very nicely detailed (even the hood opens to reveal the engine)...albeit a little undersized.  It will just need to sit a little further back on the layout when the time comes!

IMG_0012IMG_0009IMG_0008

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_0012
  • IMG_0009
  • IMG_0008
Last edited by CNJ #1601

I've got one of those Matchbox US Steel trucks.  It was the first thing I thought about when I read the OP, however it's woefully undersized.  It's probably 1:55 and the OP was looking for 1:43.  It's even undersized when near 1:48.  It would work in the background, forced perspective you know.

DukeGG1 posted:

Here are a few other pictures from my photo file in case Mark from Menards needs more ideas. Guycoal truckcoaltruck_zps2ec731a3

Much needed in 1/48 or 1/50 scale!!!!  Love the classic PRT #46 car, the seminal Dr. Cox book Surface Cars of Philadelphia 1911-1965 has a photo of an old C-cab truck with hard rubber tires and a scissors lift body unloading coal  along the #16 car in 1918!!!

Outside of Victor, Colorado , near famous Cripple Creek, they are strip mining gold, and the haul road crosses one that leads up to a hilltop site of a old mine and shaft house. Signs say those giant mine trucks like pictured above have right of way and do not stop. They go through fast, so, like at RR crossings, you stop and look both ways, then scurry across.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.