Skip to main content

I've got a beautiful 1-700e I purchased a year ago from a fellow forum member. My issue is the e unit sticks when it's cold.  Once it's warmed up it's fine and cycles. With this nice of engine, I'd rather just put an electronic e unit in and move on in life. Has anyone had good luck with the 4 amp Dallee reverse board in a similar engine? I know it comes with wiring instructions, but I was curious if there's any issues with it since this one doesn't have a lever, but the plug to lock in direction to the back of the motor. I'm confident I can do the work, and I've purchased from Dallee before. Just wanted some advise if anyone else has converted a similar engine. Thanks.

Last edited by Donnie Kennedy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Pat. That's what I was wondering. I'll keep it there for 💩 and giggles! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that needed added or bypassed. I'm learning and trying to gain confidence in this hobby. That's why I stated with pre and postwar stuff to learn the basics and move up slowly from there. Thank you for all your help!

Hi Mike, yes it's the 6-18005. I just hate seeing it struggle like that. I think it deserves a nice e unit. It also deserves a nice Pitman upgrade too. But that'll be in the future when I send her off to Dr Pat @harmonyards for an upgrade!

@Mellow Hudson Mike so I took her apart and discovered two separate problems.

1 the e unit was sticking because the tab on top of the plunger lever  was doing the classic magnitising to the e unit. I filed it down a little and now the e unit cycles.

2nd problem after that I found the engine ran smooth in reverse but bucked and jerked going forward until it warmed up. I found the brushes were worn and one of them was oblong. I replaced them with the slotted style that the contact spring fits in and now she's running nice and smooth with an operating e unit.

Hope that helps you in your situation!

Now to put her back together....

Thanks for the feedback Donnie,  I bought mine back in March via an online auction (an OGR sponsor) , and have only run it on a test track so far.  I haven't seen any problems similar to yours -- yet.  I assume if they're going to come that they'll start showing up once she can stretch her legs on a real layout.

At least now I know what to look for.

Good luck with yours; particularly with the proposed upgrades.

Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.