Skip to main content

I am looking for Lionel UP Yellow passenger cars to pull behind my Big Boy.  Yes.  I know the Big Boys never pulled passenger cars.  But 4014 will when he gets done.

21" cars simply look too big to me.  I think I'll like the look of the 18" better.  I know it's a matter of opinion, and I'm not concerned about being scale accurate.  

With that said:  Would the 18" be too small/out of place?  I see Lionel made these over a wide range of years.  Do any sets look significantly better, or function better, than others?

These will only be run on our club's 18' x 42' layout.  072 and 081 curves.  

Your thoughts please . . . 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Personally, I am a huge fan of Lionel's 18 inch extruded aluminum passenger cars.  I have a set of Santa Fe and UP that looks good no matter what I choose to pull them with  and they look great going around my 072 to 099 curves.  I recently acquired my first Lionel 21 inch car and I felt it looked totally ridiculous on my curves.

Good luck on your decision,

Don

rick s posted:

I am looking for Lionel UP Yellow passenger cars to pull behind my Big Boy.  Yes.  I know the Big Boys never pulled passenger cars.  But 4014 will when he gets done.

These will only be run on our club's 18' x 42' layout.  072 and 081 curves.  

Your thoughts please . . . 

If you have access to a layout that large, then GO FOR the 21 inchers

The 18 inch cars will look better on that radius track.  I wish Lionel had stuck with the aluminum 18 inch cars instead of the 21. The 18 had passengers and were close coupled together. The last set I bought of the 21 inch I sent back . they should have been advertised as kits as much work needed to be done to them to be ready to run. They really were a disappointment. 

rick s posted:

But 4014 will when he gets done.. . . 

She, all steam engines are female.  4014 will when she gets done.

As for length, I'd actually look at MTH's premier passenger cars.  They are about 19" long (At least the PRR ones I have.) and look good with scale locomotives.  But then I run them on O72 or smaller curves and am fine with it.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.