Skip to main content

So I just got a few old Intermountain Kits of 1937 A.A.R. boxcars and when I opened them I thought the box was marked wrong because to me they look like PS-1 boxcars. After looking online at some photos I really don't see much of a difference. So what are the visual differences between the two?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Southwest Hiawatha,

I'm sorry to have to correct you.

The stirrup step on the left, as you look at the car's side, is trapezoid on the AAR and the stirrup step on the PS-1 is rectangular.

I have been knocking my brains out looking at the different details, before spending my bucks, when buying box cars.

Then, again, it's up to the buying RR's specifications.

RJL 

OK, here are some pictures. 

First, an Atlas model of a 1937 AAR boxcar. Yes, the steps are slightly out of square, you could call them trapezoidal.

But now check out a photo of a prototype PS-1 car. Note the shape of the stirrup on the right. That's what I'm talking about, the radical difference between that shape and a typical stirrup. 

In the process of finding these photos, I was frustrated by Google Images, which provided hundreds of images of models and hardly any decent pictures of the real 1937 car. I did see a couple of shots identified as AAR cars that had the PS-1 type stirrup on the right. I don't know if those were modified cars, or just customized as built for a particular road, or maybe misidentified in the captions. 

Attachments

Images (2)

Dom,

The 1923 American Railroad Association's steel box car design, led to the X-29 style of which P.RR. built roughly 30,000 X-29 box cars.

The style allowed for more loading capacity, with a low profile to traverse tunnels on the East Coast.

P.RR's. Merchandise Service LCL box cars, were mostly an X-29 style, with trucks to handle speed, for the East Coast customers where tunnels were in use, especially in the 'Merchandise Mecca' New York City. 

RJL

Last edited by RJL
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.