Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very cool video, Bruce! I also have been struck by how visually unobtrusive outside third rail is. Another thing that struck me was the intelligent narration, as opposed to some of the "gee, whiz; not bad for a bunch of dweebs" narration that some modern news stories provide about model railroading. Finally, they certainly dressed better to run trains in those days!

Thanks for posting, Bruce.  That was very interesting.  Do you know anything about the origins of this film?  Where'd you find it?  What was Sterling Films, or what was this for?  Looks as though it would've been shown in movie theaters as a short before the feature film perhaps?  

One other thing that struck me, and I guess this reflects the cultural differences between then and now….I was fascinated to see the guy operating the switching yard was wearing a suit and tie!  Although maybe he just "dressed up" for the filming?

- Mike

Originally Posted by mike.caruso:
….I was fascinated to see the guy operating the switching yard was wearing a suit and tie!  Although maybe he just "dressed up" for the filming?

- Mike

Or maybe he's Lee's grandfather...

But very nice layout.  What gauge is it?  Did I miss them saying?  As for the 3rd rail, I didn't see anything using it, perhaps they didn't show them.

Originally Posted by sinclair:
But very nice layout.  What gauge is it?  Did I miss them saying?  As for the 3rd rail, I didn't see anything using it, perhaps they didn't show them.

They mentioned it was 1/48th scale; I forget if they said "O Gauge". As for the third rail, it's not the centered rail we're used to; it's a rail on the outside of the gauge, more or less in line with one of the tie ends. You really have to look for it. The pickup is on the outside of the locomotives.

Guys

I was hoping someone else could fill in the details of this layout as I don't have a clue as to whatever happened to it, etc. What also struck me was that every film I have seen on 1950" layouts were never this scale like ( realistic vs toy like)..and the narrator gave the impression ( at least to me) that a lot of this stuff was scratch-built which sort of blows my mind...I actually like the look of the outside 3rd rail better the more I looked at it...If I thought I was a Luddite before, now I am sure I am. 

Originally Posted by electroliner:

Guys

I was hoping someone else could fill in the details of this layout as I don't have a clue as to whatever happened to it, etc. What also struck me was that every film I have seen on 1950" layouts were never this scale like ( realistic vs toy like)..and the narrator gave the impression ( at least to me) that a lot of this stuff was scratch-built which sort of blows my mind...I actually like the look of the outside 3rd rail better the more I looked at it...If I thought I was a Luddite before, now I am sure I am. 

In the mid 50s, I visited relatives in Burnsville NC and a man across the street had a garage type building where he built live steam engines and rail cars that were maybe double G scale or similar.  Really cool and they looked just like the big engines and cars as I recall.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.