Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A guy I know, even older than I am, has remarked that the locomotive that he used to

see in the Superman opening credits was a CNW E-4 streamlined Hudson (MTH has made one). Obviously we have been looking at a GS2 (3?). I remember only the SP loco.

Does anyone else have any recollection of a different, E-4-like loco being in the opening,

earlier or later than the SP GS? I do not, but, again, he is about 10 years older than I.

Just wondering.

Originally Posted by D500:

A guy I know, even older than I am, has remarked that the locomotive that he used to

see in the Superman opening credits was a CNW E-4 streamlined Hudson (MTH has made one). Obviously we have been looking at a GS2 (3?). I remember only the SP loco.

Does anyone else have any recollection of a different, E-4-like loco being in the opening,

earlier or later than the SP GS? I do not, but, again, he is about 10 years older than I.

Just wondering.

The Chicago based METV and METOO TV channels have been running the original Superman 30min TV series lately. Over the last two months I have personally seen the very fist episode of Superman (B&W), TWICE, and continued on well into the color series. I have NEVER seen any steam locomotive or diesel unit for the intro of the program that was NOT an SP (GS class 4-8-4) or an EMD "E type" unit.

The Hollywood TV & movie studios worked pretty closely with the Santa Fe and the SP, thus it would be illogical to think that they would drive all the way to the midwest just to photograph a CN&W H class. 

Well, I didn't think that they would "drive all the way to the Midwest" for the footage -

that sort of stuff was always available as stock or PR footage, and the CNW may have had some done. Don't know.

Be that as it may, I did not see it, and it looks as if my friend simply mis-remembers the opening.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.