Skip to main content

Hello, New here, and I may be asking a question answered many times, but, if so, I am unable to find the answer and apologize in advance.

I am attempting to recreate the Super O layout that was on the back of the 1957 Catalog.  I want to remain true to the original and as such, want to make sure I have all the same accessories, and the same track equipment. ( ie. uncoupling track) as the original. 

I am sure someone has done this project and am curious where I can fid the detailed information. 

Thanks in advance,

M

Attachments

Images (1)
  • lionel 1957 track plan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

prrhorseshoecurve, and ADCX ROB,

Thank you for the reply, very helpful.  However I'm might not have been as clear as I should have been.  My main interest at this point is collecting the various accessories associated with this layout.  I am aware this layout has some issues, one of which it seems a trestle is in the middle of a lower track!

I was able to get what I think is a list from a couple for the original pictures, (attached) but just not sure.  One specific question was the number of uncoupling sections that were used.

Matt

Attachments

Here is the Super-O track plan you might be thinking of.   They are very similar, this one says "Super-O" at the bottom.   Perhaps there is another page associated with this plan, as all of the buildings are numbered - presumably identified in a key on another page.   If there is another page, that could be helpful to you, but I do not have it.

1957LayoutV1c

You have probably seen this illustration, which would appear to be of the "Panoramic" layout plan, not the "Super-O" plan, if the number of ties in each track section is a reliable indicator.   However some of the track angles and track positions would indicate that it is an illustration of the Super-O plan, judging by the angle of the two turnouts at the left, and the position of the elevated track in the lower right - which does not reach as far down (toward the edge of the layout) as the lower track does, consistent with the the Super-O diagram.   I seem to recall learning that this illustration appeared in "Popular Mechanics" magazine:

1957CatalogLayoutIllustrated

I do not know which version would be considered "iconic", I would guess its the Super-O diagram above.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 1957LayoutV1c
  • 1957CatalogLayoutIllustrated
Last edited by Ken-Oscale

M,

I would consider the "iconic" one to be the artist's rendition on the back of the 1957 catalog, even with all its flaws. That is where most of us first saw it and put it on our long list of "wish I could haves" from Lionel catalogs.  It is detailed enough to identify most of the accessories. 

To actually build the layout, one of the track diagrams, of course, is better.

But, nothing beat looking at that back cover as a kid and wearing it almost clean through by tracing out the routes with a grubby little finger over and over again!  

Jim

Last edited by Jim Policastro

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.