Skip to main content

20190117_02231120190117_022433Thanks to the incredible paint work of Christine Braden,  the O Scale "auto - train" makes its first runs.  Missing from the consist in the video is the buffet/movie car which has a coupler problem at the moment.  An additional number of auto carriers from MTH are on order.  I used Atlas U23B locomotives with Blomberg trucks as an approximation for auto-train's U36B power with Blombergs.  Cars are a combination of Lionel, Atlas, Weaver, one unknown maker, and the MTH car carriers. The letter boards on the full domes and the Budd ex Zephyr dome had to be replaced with larger boards to accommodate the larger "auto - train" logo.  Christine spent a lot of effort getting the graphics the right size on each car.  There are several different font sizes in use.

Since 2006 when MTH made the auto carriers, I have been awaiting MTH's completion of a passenger train.  Not wanting to wait 48 years for that to happen, I decided to acquire 21" cars that as closely as possible creates an accurate looking consist and commission Christine to custom paint the train.  Thanks to MTH for making the auto carriers which inspired this project.  I still think MTH should finish what they started and offer sets of cars.  I  am looking for an MTH VO-1000 in auto train which was produced in 2006.  

Some scoff at the bright colors of this train, but it is pure 70's.  The creator of this service envisioned a new concept with bright colors and a break from sirly train crews in favor of a friendly cruise ship type service on rails.  Auto train offered a unique service with fine foods, entertainment, and a dome filled voyage.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20190117_022311
  • 20190117_022433
Videos (1)
20190116_013349
Last edited by VistaDomeScott
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Outstanding job by Christine.  Paint matching is a true art.  And I can hardly believe the masking involved in all of those dome windows.

For entirely selfish reasons, I am thrilled to see her work on the Budd dome, and paint matching.  Just sent her more work yesterday.

Enjoy a unique and truly exceptional train set, Scott.

Maxrailroad posted:
VistaDomeScott posted:

Anyone have suggestions on what stock equipment comes closest to looking like these:

Screenshot_20190117-212436_Chrome~01~01schmidt-auto-train-91-caboose-800x

A K Line business car might work for the observation car, as for the caboose I have no clue since it looks like it was heightened

For the Observation a WILLIAMS Observation car from their scale sets of the late 1980's - you get :

• mostly a round roof from the modeled AC ducts PLUS
  • the 6 wheeled trucks and
  • the rear Platform gates are spot on!

For the Caboose- IT appears to be a scratchbuilt job with parts from Lionel and/or Atlas O. Maybe Early Atlas[ 1970's] Undecorated reefer car with Atlas O commonwealth trucks [ you will have to modify the frame of the reefer] and a Wide Vision Caboose cupola. The ends and window cut outs would have to be scratch built by you.

Scott, this is one of those times eBay's search function is your best friend, at least for seeing what's available for the obs car.

I used it to find a streamlined, smooth-sided, aluminum 15" RPO car for my Texas Special project--turns out LIONEL made them as a TCA convention car a couple of decades ago--mine will be delivered today--fingers crossed.  

Last edited by Pingman

Great looking train Scott.

I have both good and bad memories of the Auto Train. On a family road trip we drove down to Florida. We didn't ride it, but we visited the south terminal. I took a ton of pictures with a 110 Instimatic camera. I was in my element. I want to say there was a gift shop, and somehow we ended up with a small plastic bag that had Auto Train printed on it. My dad hung it on the knob of the radio, and we put trash in it. My sister who was about 6 at the time thought that was the place to put my stuff. Somehow she got a hold of a couple rolls of film I had shot and put them in the bag. The bag got emptied. I wanted to kill her.

VistaDomeScott posted:

Elliot, thats awful. Even the bag today would be desired by auto train fans

Well Scott, maybe my sharing that story here is my ultimate revenge on her. Not so fast on that bag, I may have a few  Auto-Train souvenirs on my bookshelves in the train room.

If it's train related, it doesn't get thrown away (at least not by me).

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.