Skip to main content

hello. i have a Chessie with ps2 that works must fine. i recently bought a Conrail diesel that was used. the conrail will not program into my dcs system. it works in conventional mode fine. i reset it in conventional  mode no with problems but still would not program into dcs, the train just sits there and nothing comes on. i did a reset of the remote, tui and the trains then attemted to load the conrail first but no go. i then added the other trains back on. in doing so and while diagnosing i discovered when the chessie is chosen on the remote with the conrail on the track it will start and work the conrail. only thing i found is when the bell is activated i cannot cancel the bell unless i turn the train off or if the chessie is on the track at the same time then i am able to cancel the bell with the remote.

Apparently the conrail is programmed  with the same info as my chessie in dcs. i can factory reset my chessie but i cannot factory reset the conrail not even with the chessie engine chosen on the remote. i also cannot recover the conrail.

what are my options here. i am thinking the previous owner had it coded on his system similar to my chessie which is why i can work it when the remote is selected with chessie.

what do i need to do to get the dce to recognize this conrail and load it into the system? i imagine something needs to be programmed. i tried what i know of to do.

any suggestions out there? i am stumped.

Last edited by ChaKing
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If I put my G scale engines on the track and pull up an engine that matches an address already loaded with an O scale, it will think the O scale engine is on the track. If I select it, it will start up and run the G scale engine.

What I usually do is keep addresses open for certain engines. When one adds where I don't want it to be, I keep it on powered track, and then select "edit engine". I select edit address and move that engine to another address. It takes a charged battery for it to stick.

So do that with the Chessie engine. Then try and add the Conrail with that address now open.

About the engine not taking a factory reset, I'm thinking right now that maybe the battery is dead? Have you tried killing the power on the Conrail engine and see if it continues to play the shut-down sequence? If it shut's down immediately the battery is very low or dead.

I would think that the Conrail should reset to address #1 or 0 even if the battery were low? I can't remember.

do you know the model number of the Conrail? ( to tell us the year and info)

Last edited by Engineer-Joe

hello joe. i will try to change the channel for the diesel. i have killed the power and the conrail does go thru the shut sequence. im not savvy with this but i have dabbled quite a bit and upgraded many proto to proto 2 and ive never had this issue where i could add an engine. at least i know it works it is just an address conflict im thinking like you are suggesting. can the engine be reset to its factory settings somehow if i cannot get this squared away.

what i do find more odd is i activate the bell and it will not trun off but if i have the chessie on the track the same time i am able to turn the bell off with dcs.

Conrail number is 30-2194-1

i will try the a address change as you suggest.

it sounds like it's having a signal gathering issue but it's hard to tell exactly yet with what I've read. Sometimes a wire will get chaffed rubbing on the frame and that can cause issues. There's many things that can go wrong and it's always hard to tell when it's not in your hands.

Seems like so far, it has the not resetting, not answering to turning the bell off, anything else you can tell us?

Make sure when you try and add it, that there's nothing else on the track.

Use your good engine to do a signal strength test and tell us what it gets.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.