Skip to main content

Is there any complexity to converting a 2 rail freight car (I.e. a Weaver car) into a 3 rail car? Is it just a matter of changing out the wheels and couplers?

If it is possible than what would need to be done and what hardware would I need to get?

Thanks for your help.

Ben
Last edited by banelson
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Weaver cars are very easy to convert either way. In your case just remove the body mounted coupler and the 2 rail truck. Then get a hold of a set of 3 rail Weaver trucks and 3 rail Weaver couplers. They are for sale separately. The coupler just sits on top of the truck and once you screw the truck in it holds the whole assembly together. I did this on three different boxcars for a friend of mine who is a 3 railer. 

Of course now that Weaver is going out of business getting these parts may be harder in the future. 

It is easy - even for older O Scale.  You can do it with a screwdriver if you do not mind raising the car high enough for the wheels and coupler to freely swivel.  But be semi- cautious about converting older metal and wood cars - you can easily reduce their value considerably when you get out the old Dremel tool and start cutting bolsters and coupler pockets.

My guess is that there are now plenty of used 3-rail cars out there for cheap.

Originally Posted by banelson:

I found a wagontop boxcar that I like but it was only availble in 2 rail.  I bought it anyhow as they seem hard to get anymore.  Will I have to buy 3 rail trucks and coupers specific to that car or is that a generic product?

Thanks,

Ben

If it was the Weaver B&O wagon top boxcar, simply obtain Weaver 3-Rail trucks & couplers, and make the swap.

I have done this on a number of 2 rail OLD scale cars.

1. you need to install spacers between the spine and the top of the truck as the older scale wheels with smaller flanges don't need as much clearance for turning.

2. I prefer to use the older Weaver plastic trucks as they gave me more flexibility  to bore out the hole and use a variety of screws for mounting.

Generally its an easy transition, but each car has to be evaluated and will offer its own unique challenges

I  called Weaver.  For the wagontop boxcars I need two sets of P718 Die Cast Bettendorf trucks in 3 rail with couplers (two to a set).  They are sold out at Weaver and don't seem to be obviously available anywere else. I already bought the 2-rail cars.  Any ideas on where to find the 3-rail truck/coupler sets?

Thanks!

Ben

Last edited by banelson
Originally Posted by banelson:

I  called Weaver.  For the wagontop boxcars I need two sets of P718 Die Cast Bettendorf trucks in 3 rail with couplers (two to a set).  They are sold out at Weaver and don't seem to be obviously available anywere else. I already bought the 2-rail cars.  Any ideas on where to find the 3-rail truck/coupler sets?

Thanks!

Ben

I have a pair you're after that I just took off of a Weaver car I converted to 2-rail yesterday (now I have to find which box I put them in). I'll trade you for your 2-rail couplers/trucks. Contact me off-list.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.