Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There was a discussion several months ago about this on this forum.  I thought it was decided that 2 rail items for sale could be listed here.  If I was wrong so be it.  Not a big deal.  I see my item was moved to the for sale board and that's ok.  Everyone makes a mistake now and then.

Thanks,  Rick

No - the 2- rail stuff gets pushed so rapidly to previous pages that it is not a viable way to sell.  I found this one and stuck a note on it, which bumped it back up.  One just like it was on eBay for a week or so with no nibbles.  This is not as active as the 3- rail forums, so maybe you should lobby management for a dispensation, or even a 2- rail for sale forum.

You are now on page 2, so you are practically invisible.

Originally Posted by bob2:

I am the 1% that he won't hit.  I would not have seen it had he not started this thread.  I bookmarked the one on eBay to find out if mine were worth $150.  I think I have six.  If you are selling old O Scale 2-rail, eBay seems to be a good place.  If you are buying, not so much.

Well, I doubt it matters that you missed the ad since you already have six of them!

Presuming you actually were interested in finding 2 rail stuff:

Use Advanced Search (pops up when you arrow over search in the header). Click Forums at top left. Select "For Sale or Trade" from list, Type in "2 rail" in "with the exact phrase" block. Select Order by Date. Click SEARCH. Bingo!

I'd tend to disagree with your last statement. I've made some very good buys on Ebay. Stuff goes all over the map, and is really hard to predict. All depends who is watching and bidding at a particular time.

Simon

In a way, I agree with you, even though you are disagreeing.  I have obtained some spectacular buys on eBay.  But mostly I sell things for about three times what they are worth.  You can find things on eBay that start out at between double and ten times what they are worth.  Case in point - there are some nice looking Athearn box cars on the bay now - some at 99 cents and some at $142.50.

If I have six NW-2s, that means either I am nuts or that I am ready to buy another - or maybe both.  I rarely look here for 2- rail items, but each day I peruse eBay for those bargains.  An All Nation Atlantic went for ninety bucks - a Lobaugh Berk needing help went for $140.

Most of the time things are bid right out of my ballpark.

I will most likely pick up a seventh NW-2 at the right price.

All opinion

In a way, I agree with you, even though you are disagreeing.  I have obtained some spectacular buys on eBay.  But mostly I sell things for about three times what they are worth.  You can find things on eBay that start out at between double and ten times what they are worth.  Case in point - there are some nice looking Athearn box cars on the bay now - some at 99 cents and some at $142.50.

If I have six NW-2s, that means either I am nuts or that I am ready to buy another - or maybe both.  I rarely look here for 2- rail items, but each day I peruse eBay for those bargains.  An All Nation Atlantic went for ninety bucks - a Lobaugh Berk needing help went for $140.

Most of the time things are bid right out of my ballpark.

I think we agree more than disagree. A lot of this is, as you say, opinion, so neither of us is necessarily wrong, we just have opposing viewpoints.

No doubt about it, there are more than enough auctions starting at ridiculous prices. I just scroll on by those.

As for the NW-2's, maybe you just LIKE them. I doubt they'll have you committed if you buy that 7th one. I'd be more concerned about the wife getting wind of it.

The good news about getting outbid is, that unless it is an ultra-rare item, another will come along sooner or later.

Simon

Well, then, that is where this NW-2 should go.  I hear that Jack is a great guy - and am amazed that he gets his asking prices.  My only customer swears by him.

Jack McGarry has never failed to sell anything I've given him. His commissions are very fair and he has access to markets that others don't. Given that, if you are looking for a quick-response, O Scale Yard Sale Yahoo group is the way to go. It is virtually ALL 2-rail. The digest comes out nearly daily. I've never failed to sell at least half or more of whatever I post within the first 24 hours. And it's FREE! Before I'd put anything on eBay, I'd post it to the Yard Sale.

Oh yeah, we have a Buy-Sell-Trade forum at the OST board, but Yard Sale is till better.

Joe G.

Haven't seen it lately, so I assume he got his price.  I note that there is an unpainted version of the All Nation NW-2 that looks nowhere near as nice - seller started at $99, and it went rapidly to almost $130 with a day to go.

Two different ways to go at eBay - one is to start high and work your way down, as with the $150 box cars that normally sell for $20, and the other is to start low, and watch the excitement build.

When I sell my NW-2s, I will start them at 99 cents.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.