Skip to main content

Here is an cheap, easy, reversible conversion of the Lionel Autorack using plastic Atheran RB trucks (typically $8 street price, if you can find them).

Very straightforward. 1) Remove the coupler mechanism, remove the trucks, screw in athearn truck using two washers as a space with #4 1/2" machine screw.  2) Attach Kadee 740's with #2 machine screws.  I got all the screws at Radio Shack (yes they still have a few locations open in Houston.)  You should put a bit of epoxy between the two washers and between the washer and truck, to prevent wobbliness in operation!

2-rail autorack [1)

2-rail autorack [2)

2-rail autorack [3)

2-rail autorack [4)

2-rail autorack [6)

Attachments

Images (5)
  • 2-rail autorack (1)
  • 2-rail autorack (2)
  • 2-rail autorack (3)
  • 2-rail autorack (4)
  • 2-rail autorack (6)
Last edited by Martin H
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Matt, that has not been my experience.  I drilled the holes with a 1/16" bit and the screws self-threaded with no problem.  Also, there is a front and back screw in that Kadee box, so I expect it to hold pretty stable.

I will try stringing a lot of cars behind it tonight.  I will then check the coupler performance/stability while they are in motion.

Originally Posted by Martin H:
Sure, just leave the original knuckle couplers on and only change out the wheelsets to 2-rail.  Then you just need to make a kadee-to-lobsterclaw transition car. 

I've never seen a 2-rail car without body-mounted couplers.  If someone has one, please post a pic so I can see what that is like.

Originally Posted by jonnyspeed:

Martin, is there any way to retain the telescoping feature? That's a big car for body mounts...

BTW... I couldn't find a Radio Shack so I ordered my 2-56 screws from boltdepot.com the 1/2 screws cost $2.38 for 100.

I was thinking about mounting a kadee on the arm. Kato does it in N scale for long passenger cars to allow them to negotiate tighter curves. The same reason Lionel added the feature. Just wondered really... I'm not into big modern cars. They sure are impressive though.

Originally Posted by Ron H:

Looks good Martin.

What part of Houston are you in? I'm in Tomball.

I wonder how many O scale guys, Non Hi-rail, there are in the area. 

Ron H.

Thanks Ron H.

I'm near the Medical Center.  I have been to one older gentleman's 2-rail layout in the Sharpstown area during last fall's layout tours.  It was a very good.

Next time I'm in Houston I'll buy you guys lunch.

It is a big car. I put the long armed KDs on the long Atlas flats and they work without issue. Of course they won't work on too tight of curves or S curves.

My Lionel Auto cars are fine with the KDs. I haven't had one uncouple yet. I used Atlas trucks, if I remember right. There was another post on this subject a year ago.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...ion-to-2r-and-kadees

I reviewed that thread before posting this one.  Atlas trucks are getting up near $20 a pair.  Also, my method re-uses the threaded insert that is already in the car bolster.  I don't know if Mr. DeBerg's method is reversible or not.

Originally Posted by Engineer-Joe:

It is a big car. I put the long armed KDs on the long Atlas flats and they work without issue. Of course they won't work on too tight of curves or S curves.

My Lionel Auto cars are fine with the KDs. I haven't had one uncouple yet. I used Atlas trucks, if I remember right. There was another post on this subject a year ago.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...ion-to-2r-and-kadees

Matt, you are more than welcome to come see my layout and stuff the next time you are in Houston.  HOWEVER!!!  BNSF reigns supreme on my layout while ATSF and SP are fallen flags.

Originally Posted by AGHRMatt:

Next time I'm in Houston I'll buy you guys lunch.

Martin, on mine ATSF, NYC and reign supreme with one lonely SP cab forward. All good whatever line.

Ron

Ron H,

I am just teasing the "Isle of Denial" Prime Minister!  I know Matt likes to joke how Santa Fe Warbonnets should reign supreme on the modern Class-I railroads.

I couldn't resist...  (but it's all a joke.)

Matt, you are more than welcome to come see my layout and stuff the next time you are in Houston.  HOWEVER!!!  BNSF reigns supreme on my layout while ATSF and SP are fallen flags.

Martin, on mine ATSF, NYC and reign supreme with one lonely SP cab forward. All good whatever line.

Ron

Yeah. You got me. Actually, I'm just the self-appointed Information Minister. That allows me to go on the occasional "Baghdad Bob" rant.

Ron H,

I am just teasing the "Isle of Denial" Prime Minister!  I know Matt likes to joke how Santa Fe Warbonnets should reign supreme on the modern Class-I railroads.

I couldn't resist...  (but it's all a joke.)

Ron

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.