Skip to main content

HI,

My son has convinced me to add reverse loops to my AC 2-rail S-gauge layout.  He'd like to see the trains able to change directions.  I've figured out where I can include the reverse cut-off but want to know if there is a way to automate the polarity changes.  While the loop is large, I fear the section I can isolate is too small.  The section below is in the upper left of the second photo (the benchwork is complete and the plan altered somewhat). Any advice?

Thanks

TimIMG_1867AS1P2843

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1867
  • AS1P2843
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are a couple of ways to automatically control a reverse loop. One way is with relays. Another which I use is with AC auto reverser boards. I used the PSX-AR-AC boards, there are 4 reverse loops on my layout. These boards are heavy duty versions of their DCC boards. They detect the short circuit caused by the pickup wheels crossing the isolation gap and instantly flip the polarity of just the reverse loop section. They work in any direction and are independent of turnout point position.

The reverse loop needs to be as long as the train unless there are no illuminated or action cars in any of the trains. That is unlikely. It looks like the way to achieve that length is to: 1) put a gap in both rails at the lower red line in your picture, 2) put a gap at the end of the straight leg of the upper turnout, not in the divergent leg where it is shown, then 3) put a gap in the rails several track sections up the main line from the point side of the turnout to gain length in the controlled section. It is ok but not ideal to make the controlled section this way. Were it my layout I would find a way to move that upper right turnout further up the main line, having 3 parallel tracks for a distance of the longest train. Since I run 20 car freights and 10 car passenger trains my reverse loops are long enough to hold those trains.

The key point is the reversing section has to be as longer or longer than the longest powered, lighted, animated train going through it.    If only you locos are powered and all cars including cabooses and passenger cars are unlighted, you can use the short section as you have it.    Otherwise, you need to revise the track plan.

Any of the automated reversers should work.    Since this is 2 rail, I assume DCC or DC?

The PSX-AR-AC boards have no effect on the Gilbert mechanical reverse units, the AM and aftermarket Electronic Reverse units or TMCC, Legacy or FlyerChief systems. I operate all engines on the layout using the Legacy system except for a few FlyerChief engines that need their own remote. More significantly the auto reverser boards have no effect on the ZW-L's. The ZW-L's have fast acting foldback circuits to protect engines against overcurrent. The auto reverser acts faster.

The layout has 4 reverse loops and 4 of those boards. I have used them hundreds of times while running trains. Zero issues after 3 years of operation. The layout also has a large LCS control system but there is no reason these electronic boards would impact that system.

I cannot speak to DCS since it is not installed on my S gauge layout.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.