Skip to main content

I thought I would dress up the lowly Lionel 200 series PW Alco.   I made an interior for them.    Held in place by the light base, window and shell.  This is being submitted to the OGR 3D sight.  Full details will be there.  It will include the .step file if you want to modify.

This is for the frame with the vertically mounted light.   If horizontal light it wont work.  You would have to change the light or modify.  Also if there is a horn It wont work.   

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Alco Interior: Interior details.
Last edited by VHubbard
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heat build up could be a problem.  I recommend LED bulb replacements for both styles.  That is in the detailed instructions.  The interiors will reduce the cooling air and concentrate the heat in one area.   The plastic bodys and the 3d material are roughly similar for heat resistance.   I worry about the body melting  when the heat is concentrated with incandescents.    I am using LED bulbs on all my PW engines now.   

@VHubbard posted:

I thought I would dress up the lowly Lionel 200 series PW Alco.   I made an interior for them.    Held in place by the light base, window and shell.  This is being submitted to the OGR 3D sight.  Full details will be there.  It will include the .step file if you want to modify.

This is for the frame with the vertically mounted light.   If horizontal light it wont work.  You would have to change the light or modify.  Also if there is a horn It wont work.   

very nice

@BillYo414 posted:

I see @VHubbard. I have been running in 0.1mm layer heights. I wonder if that's actually hurting me.

What slicer do you use? I don't have a quality mode in Slic3r. Maybe I should change haha

I use the Prusa Slicer.  2.5.2 is current release.  I believe it is free for all users.  There are many profiles for off the shelf 3d printers.    I am using Prusa Slicer 2.6 beta.  It should be in production pretty soon.  It adds organic supports along with exporting new .stl files after  subtracting one .stl from another in the slicer.   Making a new .stl after subtraction is one of my submitted enhancements.   

You need a small, .2mm nozzle for .1mm slices.   .15mm height is the smallest I would go with a .4mm nozzle.  I find .3mm height works for many things.  I go smaller when I want a better finnish or fine details.   For the face on my tank engine .15mm height was used.  Larger heights made the face look like a topographical map.

Last edited by VHubbard

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.