Skip to main content

For me, this was one the best year's for the introduction of some fabulous O-Gauge equipment. It started with the Lionel 2014 Signature Catalog featuring the Vision Line Big Boy on the front cover and once you got inside there were more treasures to follow like the SP Cab Forward in prototypical and a Daylight color schemes. That was just the start of things to come.

Before the end of this year, we got the much improved scale Berkshires in several road names including a Gold Edition, the scale PE passenger cars (both Gold and blue/maroon) were shipped, and as promised by Mike Reagan, we received the Big Boys and Cab Forwards by year's end (at least for most of us).

Then let's not forget the GMToT that Scott Mann took a very innovative step and made happen for many of us who have waited for this train a very long time. This is certainly a landmark train that will be treasured for years.

All in all, it was quite a year. What do you think? Would you consider 2014 a great year for our O-Gauge hobby? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Amen Brian,

This year was fantastic for the hobby, and a noticeable improvement over 2013. The trains that came out by Lionel, MTH, 3rd Rail, and all the others I've seen that really hit it on the radar have been great.

The new Vision Big Boy was a great closer, as was the Cab-Forward, not to mention the Berks being in time for Thanksgiving - the BIG new item that I did purchase this year in NKP markings. Plus the new wi-fi tech from Lionel, MTH and Williams has truly been impressive.

I think also this year I purchased more train stuff by myself more than any year in my opinion. I made a lot of nice purchases, got a lot of things fixed, and made a lot of new friends through many more train shows. I consider this year a good one!

Brian - I agree with your assessment that it has been a good year.  I think as good as Lionel's two new steam engines are that the Train of Tomorrow will be the most treasured new item introduced this year.  The Big Boy is awesome but will be soon forgotten as anything other than the newest and best in a long line of Big Boys.  The cab forward is also very nice, but it too has been done before other than the fantasy paint scheme.  The TOT is a really unique and very well done model of a train that hasn't been done much or at all.

Just my two cents worth.

Art

The scale PE Berkshire was the highlight for me, such that Lionel delivered the model that looks and sounds like the one from the movie.

Personally, I experienced many defective trains and poor service in 2014, both from brand new trains from dealers and new-old stock items. While a bummer and pain in-the-neck to deal with, this really didn't hamper my enthusiasm for the hobby. If anything, it only reinforced what's best about the hobby, at least for me, that is, building and sharing the layout and running trains.

This has been such a great year I've ended up with a different dilemma than most O gauge hobbyists. Instead of having too many trains to choose from, I have to decide on which 8 x 5 layout to keep up for the year round display. Normally our Christmas display is converted to the year round display. However I'm not sure I'm finished with the 2013 set up. Right now it consists of 9 separate loops and a possibility to add three more. But then the double spiral we created for the Polar Express this year is a lot of fun too. Though it only allows for the operation of two trains and there aren't really any good options for expanded operations, LionChief + engines run really well on it.

Decisions, decisions, Oh well I don't have to deside until after the Epiphany which gives me seven more days of fun before I have any work to do.

DSCN0891

DSCN1080

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSCN0891
  • DSCN1080

I will have to agree that 2014 has been the best year in our o-gauge hobby in quite a while.  The hobby is far from dead and as a matter of fact, this forum proves that the interest levels and over all market is still strong.  With well over 16,000 registered members, thousands of posts per week, millions of page views and servings of banner ads...AND...an increase in readership...I think we can say that 2014 was a positive year in general for our hobby!

Alan

BRIAN

EVERY YEAR IS a great year in this hobby. Yes Lionel has really stepped it up with its products this year and will be interesting to see if MTH, Atlas and Williams follow suit.

Still working 2014 required me to put a A LOT of time into my job, literally pulling  a year long double shift with some travel to Europe involved, so I really cherish the time I spend with my family, my trains, my train club and the forum to help balance out life.

Getting to Europe, Zurich Switzerland was a nice trip and in my train trip from the airport to the city we passed a few siding and other trains and it was really interesting to see in real life many of the European trains that are now being sold in the recent MTH catalogs

Happy and Healthy New YEAR to all!!

David
We definitely have a peak season and it is the weeks leading up to Christmas
Steve

Originally Posted by Rocky Mountaineer:

Definitely a good "time" to be in the hobby.  But when we think about it further, the delivery of product in 2014 was largely compressed into the last 6 weeks of the year.  So overall, I'd say it was a 6-week period of 2014 that made it so wonderful -- not so much the whole year. 

David

I will have to agree that 2014 has been the best year in our o-gauge hobby in quite a while.  The hobby is far from dead and as a matter of fact, this forum proves that the "interest levels and over all market is still strong.  With well over 16,000 registered members, thousands of posts per week, millions of page views and servings of banner ads...AND...an increase in readership...I think we can say that 2014 was a positive year in general for our hobby!

Alan"

Alan, this is wonderful news for our hobby because OGR serves as a very good barometer as to where our hobby is going. With strong statistics like you have posted, we have nothing but optimism to look forward to as we rapidly approach 2015.

It was a great year for me as well, which means not a good year for my train budget.  There were far more items on my want list than my budget would bear. I still have a lot to look forward to.  So, I'll say it again, It's a great time to be in O gauge, and may we have many more years like this one!

It appears (from reading here and all the new sponsors added) the manufacturers and many train stores also did well this year, at least I sure hope they did. We want them to also be around for many years to come.

And as a suggestion for those in need of a new years resolution, how about 'Support your local train store'? For those that have them that is. That way it will be there when you want to go look at some trains or pick up an item or two for your layout. 

Zett - No I did not and most likely will regret it at some point.  I am still sticking to my agreement to not buy any new engines until I finish certain scenery elements.  At times it has been killing me, but a man is only as good as his word.  The Big Boy is also very hard on me.

Art

Originally Posted by Rocky Mountaineer:

Definitely a good "time" to be in the hobby.  But when we think about it further, the delivery of product in 2014 was largely compressed into the last 6 weeks of the year.  So overall, I'd say it was a 6-week period of 2014 that made it so wonderful -- not so much the whole year. 

David

I agree that's the only thing I don't like.  I wish lionel would release it's big products throughout the year and not in the last 2 months.  It would make it much easier.  Other than that the product offering has been fantastic.  

Brian,

Yes, 2014 has been a very good year -- finally some return to the general outlook that the world is not about to end which started in mid 2008, while not perfect it has been a good year for almost everyone I know, in some cases a great year. All of which leads to it also being a good to great year for the hobby, higher incomes, better outlook, more spendable income, all translating in the importers doing some wonderful stuff.

I agree with the others that the Train of Tomorrow is perhaps the big winner for the year!

2015 is already shaping up to be another awesome year, 3rd Rail (GGD) releasing the AT&SF El Captain, MTH with a PS 3.0 44 ton, and who knows what other goodies await with the spring catalogs -- it is a good time in the land of O these days indeed!

Originally Posted by Chugman:

Zett - No I did not and most likely will regret it at some point.  I am still sticking to my agreement to not buy any new engines until I finish certain scenery elements.  At times it has been killing me, but a man is only as good as his word.  The Big Boy is also very hard on me.

Art

Art, my friend, step into my office!

Now look, it's nice to keep your word to yourself and all that, but why limit yourself?!  You're likely to be working on scenery constantly for a long time.  Listen to your heart, you know you want to buy new locomotives.  It's sooooo much easier to give in and enjoy the lustful pleasures new trains bring to you!  It's still not too late, the scenery work will always be there.     

As I like to say, Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may be dead!

Have a nice day! 

As for 2014, it was another nice year for trains scoring my K-Line Northern Pacific 21" passenger set I've been on the hunt for nearly 10 years.  But 2015 will be bigger for me with the Golden Gate Depot Santa Fe Hi-Level passenger cars, Lionel N&W #611 "J" and Penn Central E8 and MTH UP FEF #844!

I'm happy for both Brians, but you guys have to quit teasing me and show pictures of your trains of K-Line 21" Northern Pacific cars.  I was able to touch and peak at one of PTC's cars before I sent it, but I want to see it stretched out on your beautiful layout.  Descriptions only go so far and then I have to see a picture.  A video would be even better.

Speaking of videos, Alan Arnold got a GoPro for Christmas and was promising us pictures of his fabulous layout.  I'm not talking about a video slide show, but a real video showing trains actually running on his layout.

Art

I've only been in the hobby for about 5 years or so but I cannot remember a year like this one where so many landmark trains were released -- AND delivered by the end of the year.  I'd also say that the addition of the forum sponsors and their advertised deals that were too good to pass up, made me buy a lot more trains and structures than I would have in the past.

After release of so many trains at the higher end of the price spectrum, I am hoping for a return to important releases at the lower price tiers next year.  Which for Lionel is likely to mean more LionChief Plus releases.  I think everyone is excited to see the future of that line.  And as a Christmas train fan, now that the Polar Express 10th anniversary is over, I'm eager to see what is in store next year for other Christmas trains.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.