Skip to main content

Hi everybody.  We are giving considerable thought to attending the conference in Indianapolis this July and wanted to get some feedback about the show and what to expect.  Obviously they have a lot of interesting tours and day trips.  Is the Steam train excursion still available?

One of the other aspects I am interested in would be the ability to learn more about the hobby, improve my wiring, landscaping, and modeling skills, and meet likeminded folks with similar interests.  What type of learning seminars are typically available?

Is there a trade show where we can buy merchandise?

Fun things to do for our kids?

Is there any advantage to staying at the host hotel?

Please share your experiences as we are trying to decide if this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks

Last edited by Santa Fe VA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Santa Fe VA:

Hi everybody.  We are giving considerable thought to attending the conference in Indianapolis this July and wanted to get some feedback about the show and what to expect.  Obviously they have a lot of interesting tours and day trips.  Is the Steam train excursion still available?

One of the other aspects I am interested in would be the ability to learn more about the hobby, improve my wiring, landscaping, and modeling skills, and meet likeminded folks with similar interests.  What type of learning seminars are typically available?

Is there a trade show where we can buy merchandise?

Fun things to do for our kids?

Is there any advantage to staying at the host hotel?

Please share your experiences as we are trying to decide if this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks

Are you an LCCA member?  There are numeroua questions to answer.  Yes, there are still spaces available for the Monday Steam Train excursion.  Yes, we are planning  several free evening clinics.  There is a train show for members only on Friday evening.  It is open to the public on  Saturday.  People can buy, sell and trade during this show.  Yes, we have kid friendly, family oriented activities planned  for throughout the week.  The first 400 convention registrants who stay three nights at the hotel will receive a Lionel/LCCA limited edition motorized troley.   Any  more questions, please call me at 248 709-4137

Al Kolis

President Elect

Lionel Colectors Club of America

agkolis@comcast.net 

EOriginally Posted by Santa Fe VA:

Al

Thanks for the response.   I am an LCCA member, is that enough to get 2 or 4 of us into the events?  I will try to give you a call later this week with additional questions.

As a LCCA member you have to register to come to the convention.   You can go to the members only convention tab on our website www.lionelcollectors.org to register, or you can mail in a hard copy of the registration form in our club publication, the Lion Roars.

Al Kolis

Indianapolis has the largest children's museum in the country if not the world and a fabulous zoo with aquarium and butterfly garden. We also have a terrific museum at the Indianapolis motor speedway. There's lots to do. 

If you make the trip, please come by and visit MrsMuffin and me. Our layout is open to the public and the LCCA will be including us in their tours. I am sure MrsMuffin can help with scenery training and put you to work on our layout for a couple of hours. 

Originally Posted by MrMuffin'sTrains:

Indianapolis has the largest children's museum in the country if not the world and a fabulous zoo with aquarium and butterfly garden. We also have a terrific museum at the Indianapolis motor speedway. There's lots to do. 

If you make the trip, please come by and visit MrsMuffin and me. Our layout is open to the public and the LCCA will be including us in their tours. I am sure MrsMuffin can help with scenery training and put you to work on our layout for a couple of hours. 

Yes, there  will be a great tour of Mr &Mrs Muffin's new layout!

Steve,

Please call me at 248 709-4137

Al Kolis 

On my first visit, there was a very good toy train collection displayed on an upper

floor of the Children's Museum.  On my second visit a couple years later that toy

train display had been scaled back, and was in the basement next to the large very early 1800's 0-8-0 used to haul trains up the very steep grade from the bank of the Ohio to the top of the bluff at Madison, Indiana, and on to Indianapolis, to provide transportation connections for that city.  That track down that steep cut to the river is still there. 

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.