Skip to main content

If I had to guess I’d say it’s a rerelease of the CC2 or possibly 700e. Personally I’d prefer something new to O gauge but who knows. Although it seems like a Dreyfuss or T1 Duplex are long overdue.

I‘d love to see a vision triplex and that’d be an immediate buy for me, but I’m less optimistic after seeing MTH still has the angus tooling…although glad MTH is rereleasing it with whistle steam. Would’ve thought Lionel got that tooling and the triplex.

I second the CC2!

Thinking outside the box here.  How about a series of SCALE mow equipment?  Burro crane, ballast tamper with laser buggies, tie replacement equipment, etc.  I could see a string of these (slowly) running down the main line.  Of course, they would have to be operating with sound. That's what would make them Vision Line. But then again, my grandpa used to tell me "You can wish in one hand and sh__ in the other. See which one fills up first."

Tom

This might be a hairbrained idea but maybe do an Erie K5 pacific? There's a pretty cool story involving the K5 #2524 that got donated to South Korea following the Korean war, and there are photographs of the locomotive both in a harbor at San Francisco and then at a station platform at Seoul with the South Korean and American flags on it's smokebox. I'd post them here but no clue if they're copyrighted or not. Either way it would be a pretty cool model and give Lionel a chance to go wild with the fantasy schemes by doing up a few other K5s in KNR paint. Not sure how similar Korean coaches are to American ones but since South Korea's railroad system is similar in spec to America's I'd imagine some light retooling or even just repainting of normal coaches would be sufficient. This is basically just the ultimate pipe dream but hey, maybe the historical bit would be worth something to some people.

@paigetrain posted:

anybody got an idea of when lionel will do the big reveal?

This will definitely happen during York Week, October 20, 21, 22. Lionel will not be at the York Meet like some others, but they plan to broadcast what the engine is one of the days. I don't remember if Ryan had stated exactly what day, but I would say either pay attention to their channel or Train World's as Ken Jr. is going to be having their Virtual O Scale Week(that is their topic search that to see what they are doing).

I chuckle at the angst about what a future product release will be.  Folks, nothing we say here is going to change it, so sit back, relax, and wait for the announcement.

Got that right John. Sometimes people forget how much time is invested in making these VL engines. I think Ryan had said about the Niagara, something like 3-4 years worth of work. Sort of makes me think of they have failed drawing board ideas that they put off for the next engine.

I enjoy the discussion though @gunrunnerjohn haha plus it passes the time till the reveal.

I think Ryan had said about the Niagara, something like 3-4 years worth of work. Sort of makes me think of they have failed drawing board ideas that they put off for the next engine.

I believe it. I massively underestimated how much work would go into the design of 3D printing a blast furnace. It doesn't even have electronics! I have a small list of items it would be cool to do once I get the overall structure done so I bet you're right about the failed drawing board ideas

Whatever it ends up being, a group of people will be happy, nearly everyone will complain about the cost, and a chorus of people will say "Why'd they make another _______ locomotive ? They should have made a _______ locomotive" (Insert one of the following into each blank NYC, PRR, UP, SP, Sante Fe, Nickle Plate, steam, diesel, Hudson, Northern, Berkshire, articulated, big, small, streamlined, non-streamlined, common, uncommon, attractive, ugly)

@PSM posted:

Whatever it ends up being, a group of people will be happy, nearly everyone will complain about the cost, and a chorus of people will say "Why'd they make another _______ locomotive ? They should have made a _______ locomotive" (Insert one of the following into each blank NYC, PRR, UP, SP, Sante Fe, Nickle Plate, steam, diesel, Hudson, Northern, Berkshire, articulated, big, small, streamlined, non-streamlined, common, uncommon, attractive, ugly)

Yeah, that is always going to be the case regardless of whether it is a VL locomotive or just the catalog in general. The one catalog had almost nothing I wanted, but I was actually happy that it was a bare as it was so I didn't have to order hardly anything to save on my bank account.

I do still believe that it will probably be a Diesel locomotive since the majority of what has come out has been steam(be it new or reissues). What kind of Diesel, I have not a clue. I just hope it is a Diesel and not one that I would want.

@Don Beck posted:

I missed something  When does Lionel announce this?

It will definitely be during York Week which is right around the corner. I think I had already commented somewhere here about that. The timing is the question, will Lionel do it on their own YouTube Channel, which day, what time, ETC. Thing is, as soon as it is out, everyone will know, there will be comments here, and even a new topic I'm sure. So, be ready the 20th, 21st, or 22nd for the announcement. TrainWorld will probably have them live as well as Ken Jr. is doing a show during York as well. Hope that answers your question Don.

It will definitely be during York Week which is right around the corner. I think I had already commented somewhere here about that. The timing is the question, will Lionel do it on their own YouTube Channel, which day, what time, ETC. Thing is, as soon as it is out, everyone will know, there will be comments here, and even a new topic I'm sure. So, be ready the 20th, 21st, or 22nd for the announcement. TrainWorld will probably have them live as well as Ken Jr. is doing a show during York as well. Hope that answers your question Don.

In the Lionel newsletter it will be Oct. 21st 3:30est on YouTube and their Facebook page

I bought a PS-2 MTH Dreyfuss from Stout Auctions a few years ago with the idea I’d convert it to TMCC or send it to one of the forum wizards for a Legacy upgrade. I’ve now sent it to York with a buddy to be sold off. I’m all in on a Legacy release at some point - maybe tomorrow is the day!

Although, after today’s threads on paint colors, I’ll probably wait for it to be delivered before pulling the trigger. With my luck, they’ll be out of Dreyfuss gray paint (having used it all on Legacy smoke boxes) and instead paint it smoke-box graphite.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.