Skip to main content

Fellow O scale Modelers

I have decided to end my 3 rail to 2 rail conversion operation by the end of this year.  I have a couple of projects in my shop now and am expecting 3 more shortly that I really have no interest in doing.  When they are completed, in early January at the latest, I do not intend to accept any more conversion work.  After doing this for more than 10 years the work has become tedious for me and I have my own modeling projects to do that have been sitting dormant during this time.  Best of luck finding another modeler/machinist to help you with your projects.

Best regards,

Joe Foehrkolb

Baldwin Forge & Machine

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smart move.  Life is really too short for repetitive tasks.

You did do the hobby a great service.  My brother was in the business for about two years, but had to charge more $ just to keep the lights on.  Even 25 years ago we were charging $80/axle for those really easy Williams drivers.

I was so happy to get completely out of custom obligations - I only had one customer, but I couldn't work on my own stuff without feeling guilty.  Now I do what I want, when I want to do it.  No deadlines!

Congratulations, Joe.

I don't have more than a basic understanding of what would be required to 2-rail a 3-rail steam locomotive. But I've seen a couple of your conversions in action and they're first-rate, and the customers loved working with you. That speaks volumes. Class Guy definitely fits.

I do have experience of what can happen when a hobby turns into a business as I used to like building and repairing PCs back in the 90's. I got so busy with customer work I couldn't do my own stuff and the fun went out of it.

My MTH Allegheny you converted is still running like a champ! The wheel profile must be perfect as she never has given me any problems or derails. She runs thru all my curves and switches without any issues.

I wish I had better funds saved up over the years to take more advantage of your services. What you did do for me, is excellent! I look forward to seeing your personal work down the road.

All the best.

Now I've got this Weaver that is a dead short across the main drivers so if you still could..... OK, maybe just some tires??? 

Take that driver out, and check it again.  If it is still shorted, heat the insulated tire and take it off the wheel.  Using card stock and green Loctite, re-attach the tire.  Let cure for 24 hours.  Doesn't take much skill, and the press can be with finger pressure.

Once in a while you can cook the short.  With the driver isolated, clamp a lead to the hot driver, and with 12 volts or more on the transformer, touch the offending tire.  You will either make it worse, burn out the connection restoring the insulation, or blow the fuse on the transformer.  Maybe two out of three of those.

Dear Joe,

An end of a era !!!

It all started with the K-LINE NH EP-5 and ended with the Lionel Vision Line PRR CC2- 52 locomotives you converted for me in total !!

Every one runs like a fine Swiss watch. 

Looking forward to seeing your projects you will be working on at our Strasburg shows.

My best also to Kathy who many modelers do not realize is your best cheerleader !!!

Fair winds and following seas. John/Patty Dunn

Joe,

Thank you for your help with my projects.  The Weaver conversion you did for me came out great.  I just stripped the boiler yesterday so I can finally get it detailed and painted how I wanted.  The Lionel Mikado and the FM's have logged countless hours at our club layout. 

Enjoy getting back to your own modeling!

Tom

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.