Skip to main content

As Curtis points out, use acetone sparingly.  It will dissolve plastic.  As an example, I left a can sitting on the deck of my boat overnight.  I didn't realize the cap was loose and during the night a wave tipped it, so some leaked onto the deck, removing the gel coat.  While track may be metal and ties wood, there probably are plastic parts on switches.

The CMX unit is tempting.  I've been using a northeast unit with Brakleen, but one lap & the Brakleen has evaporated.

@bluelinec4 posted:

Do not use acetone  It is flammable  We had a spark from an engine ignite the track cleaning car   We have used every track cleaning car listed in this thread  The best is a the R&L lines track cleaner followed by a trackman 2000  We pull it with a battery operated engine

th

Are you using GG with the car?  GG is okay if you wash it off with a non-polar solvent, otherwise it is not recommended.

Still hoping for more Brakleen on plastic info.  Acetone is a bear on plastic, but perhaps as a track cleaner, once dry the plastic wheels are not effected.

A big problem for me with the CXM cleaning car is I run S-gauge.  Probably not too hard to modify an 0-gauge one.  But also, I don't want to use a polar solvent.  Graphite in a dusty environment looks promising.

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws...ne/index.html?page=9

I posted this link earlier in this thread however, it is worth posting again.  Read the article, near the end graphite as a rail treatment is discussed.  Also in this article is a link to what the black gunk actually is.  I would also recommend the reader comments link.  There is much info and discussion in Model railroad Hobbyist about cleaning track and wheels.  Drop this link in Google:

cleaning wheels site:model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

Last edited by Tom Stoltz

The reason I asked about the graphite is I had a golf club repair and fitting business for 20yrs. We always used a vacuum system and masks when cutting graphite shafts or prepping shift tips for installing new heads. The dust can be a real health hazard.  I would think by putting it on track and having your train blowing the stuff in the air might be something to think about. The graphite dust is invisible to see .

I agree that the green and dark green Scotchbrite pads are a little severe for constant cleaning.  I now use the Maroon colored pad #7447 that is listed above.

I am also using the track cleaning car made by PatsTrains.  They make a batch of these every year for about $145.00 using a weighted five inch platform and the maroon colored Scotchbrite pad.  They are installed under an MTH dual door box car.  One product number is P&P Track Cleaner Premium Gondola Box Car # P-SCOUTDDOX

I have also used in the  past the Swiffer dry clean mop for fast track clean up.  Yesterday I updated this to the Swiffer Pet brush mop with the new heavier fluffier pads.  They really pick up all the dirt on the track and roadbed.  After a dry swipe I will add a few drops of denatured Alcohol for a final pass. This only takes ten minutes for 300' of track.

Stay well and Happy New Year!

Duncan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.