Skip to main content

Just saw a quote for a case of 12 Atlas 40" rail sections, YIKES!  $279 for 40 feet of track, that's $7/ft!  I just received another case of Gargraves, flex track, fifty-one 37" sections, $399.95!  That's $2.65/ft, quite a difference.  Now, I know that Atlas is great track, but I don't know that it's over two and a half times as great as Gargraves!

I'm using two cases of Gargraves on my layout for a total of $800 for track, and I'm also using some Ross sectional track in certain places, about another $200.  If I used all Atlas track, I'd have more than $2500 tied up in track!

Just thought it was interesting to see the contrast in prices, this indeed is an expensive hobby!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I confess, all things being equal, I'd have used Atlas and Ross switches. I think Atlas switches are junk, even though they have improved them in the last few years.  However, I do like the track, just not at those prices.

@trainbob posted:

The good news about track prices is that you only have to pay once . Wait until you buy switches John

Bob, 24 Ross switches with the DZ-2500's and counting, well over $3,000 in switches!  I knew the switches were going to be a significant hit, but you do need them.

@MR_P posted:

For us old penny pinchers, Menards is making tubular track in 31, 36, 42, 54, 72 and 96.

A 24 pack of 54 is 50$, 72 is 55$ and 96 is 60$, delivered to the store. Since I'm not going anywhere near proto-typical, thats my choice.

Anyone use the RossPlate tubular switches, RTP125?

I tried Rossplate #4 switches early last year and promptly returned them. Everything I ran through them--even my modern trains-- derailed. I really wanted to use the #4 switches, but went back to my K-Line super snap O72 switches. I modified them so the distance between tracks on crossovers is very close to what I would have had with #4s.

Even traditional tubular track is getting more expensive now that Lionel stopped producing it, especially the 40-inch straight sections.

I think Marty Fitzhenry told me on one of my visits to his home that he had approx. 85 Ross switches on his layout. Do the math on that one, Gunrunnerjohn!!

Just thought it was interesting to see the contrast in prices, this indeed is an expensive hobby!

You should have witnessed the prices go up in one gauge for stainless track. My first box was one something ($140.00??).

My next box was near 400. For a brief period later on, some sellers wanted $800!

I should have bought all my track in the beginning. I would have had to borrow the money. It still would have cost less overall!

I confess, all things being equal, I'd have used Atlas and Ross switches. I think Atlas switches are junk, even though they have improved them in the last few years.  However, I do like the track, just not at those prices.

BOY!  John is crushing me... my poor atlas switches!!!    They seem to work fine so far.  I just bought 16 brand new, O72 switches at 70.00 apiece total... that price includes shipping and tax.  I'll let you know if they hold up.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.