Skip to main content

Just saw a quote for a case of 12 Atlas 40" rail sections, YIKES!  $279 for 40 feet of track, that's $7/ft!  I just received another case of Gargraves, flex track, fifty-one 37" sections, $399.95!  That's $2.65/ft, quite a difference.  Now, I know that Atlas is great track, but I don't know that it's over two and a half times as great as Gargraves!

I'm using two cases of Gargraves on my layout for a total of $800 for track, and I'm also using some Ross sectional track in certain places, about another $200.  If I used all Atlas track, I'd have more than $2500 tied up in track!

Just thought it was interesting to see the contrast in prices, this indeed is an expensive hobby!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I confess, all things being equal, I'd have used Atlas and Ross switches. I think Atlas switches are junk, even though they have improved them in the last few years.  However, I do like the track, just not at those prices.

@trainbob posted:

The good news about track prices is that you only have to pay once . Wait until you buy switches John

Bob, 24 Ross switches with the DZ-2500's and counting, well over $3,000 in switches!  I knew the switches were going to be a significant hit, but you do need them.

@MR_P posted:

For us old penny pinchers, Menards is making tubular track in 31, 36, 42, 54, 72 and 96.

A 24 pack of 54 is 50$, 72 is 55$ and 96 is 60$, delivered to the store. Since I'm not going anywhere near proto-typical, thats my choice.

Anyone use the RossPlate tubular switches, RTP125?

I tried Rossplate #4 switches early last year and promptly returned them. Everything I ran through them--even my modern trains-- derailed. I really wanted to use the #4 switches, but went back to my K-Line super snap O72 switches. I modified them so the distance between tracks on crossovers is very close to what I would have had with #4s.

Even traditional tubular track is getting more expensive now that Lionel stopped producing it, especially the 40-inch straight sections.

I think Marty Fitzhenry told me on one of my visits to his home that he had approx. 85 Ross switches on his layout. Do the math on that one, Gunrunnerjohn!!

Just thought it was interesting to see the contrast in prices, this indeed is an expensive hobby!

You should have witnessed the prices go up in one gauge for stainless track. My first box was one something ($140.00??).

My next box was near 400. For a brief period later on, some sellers wanted $800!

I should have bought all my track in the beginning. I would have had to borrow the money. It still would have cost less overall!

I confess, all things being equal, I'd have used Atlas and Ross switches. I think Atlas switches are junk, even though they have improved them in the last few years.  However, I do like the track, just not at those prices.

BOY!  John is crushing me... my poor atlas switches!!!    They seem to work fine so far.  I just bought 16 brand new, O72 switches at 70.00 apiece total... that price includes shipping and tax.  I'll let you know if they hold up.

Keep your eyes and ears open for used track at some of the auction houses - cabin fever, stout, etc.. I have purchased all my track, switches, transformers, buildings etc from tthese guys. Most of the time, in excellent condition and 10 to 20% of new. Remember, it was recently used so it wasn’t hanging around collecting dust and rust. I bought so much I can build a couple new layouts.

@ctr posted:

For What It Is Worth, I have used both Gargraves and Atlas-O track.
My experience with Gargraves is that it wears grooves in wheels and pickup rollers. I have not had that problem with Atlas-O— probably because nickel silver is softer than steel.

I am pretty sure I'll have difficulty wearing out pickups and wheels unless I run 24/7.

@Geojr posted:

I use the flex track for straight. I buy curves for curves. bending the flex is a prescription for frustration

Not really, it's actually not that difficult.  After the first few and a couple of kinks, you get the hang of it.  This is my first big project using flex track.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
Last edited by gunrunnerjohn
@ctr posted:

For What It Is Worth, I have used both Gargraves and Atlas-O track.
My experience with Gargraves is that it wears grooves in wheels and pickup rollers. I have not had that problem with Atlas-O— probably because nickel silver is softer than steel.

You must run your trains a LOT!  I have used Gargraves since the mid 80s and never had a problem with worn wheels or pickup rollers.

@MR_P posted:

For us old penny pinchers, Menards is making tubular track in 31, 36, 42, 54, 72 and 96.

A 24 pack of 54 is 50$, 72 is 55$ and 96 is 60$, delivered to the store. Since I'm not going anywhere near proto-typical, thats my choice.

Anyone use the RossPlate tubular switches, RTP125?

I have several #4 Rossplate switches on the layout and one more coming in. Now these are used for the diversion to the various yard sidings and no high speed through the turns outs so no derailments. They align with the my tubular track and work perfect. Love all my Ross switches.

I have several #4 Rossplate switches on the layout and one more coming in. Now these are used for the diversion to the various yard sidings and no high speed through the turns outs so no derailments. They align with the my tubular track and work perfect. Love all my Ross switches.

Thanks, I'll in the planning stages of build a mega layout this spring / summer(upper loft level of new 3 car garage).  Probably will be on-going forever, LOL.  My current layout is in a shed and is 4 ft by 10 ft at best, so anything double in size will be mega!  Anyways, I've got some Lionel 031 and K-line 042 switches that I'd hate to discard from using, since they work just fine.  But I'll need a large diameter switch for a couple of consists, at least 054, but I'm leaning to 072.  So that's why I asked and thanks for responding.

Cheers, MR_P

Last edited by MR_P

With most lines of track (in all scales for that matter), flex track is significantly less expensive than sectional track.  But not so with Atlas 3-rail. The cost per linear foot is the same.   I use Altas track and turnouts in my layout.   I would not have used it if I had to pay new prices.  It would have run about $4000.  I lucked into fire sale prices on used track at a local club.   It needed a good cleaning and some of the turnouts needed repair, but I was paying 25 cents on the dollar.  

The problems and the fixes for the older Atlas turnouts are well documented on the forum.  I ran power leads to all sections of center rails rather than rely on the inadequate jumper wires. My only regret is using flextrack on some of my curves.  Atlas flex track is a bear to bend and it is difficult to avoid kinks on the curves. You can't pre-bend it like Gargraves.   I used the usual techniques of extra track screws near the joint and I even made slotted wood blocks to help man-handle the track.  I did ok with most, and they are all functional, but a few joints on O-72 curves bug me when I see them.   Once I lay ballast and more scenery, I will forget about them.   My do-over would be to use their sectional track for curves.   You can lay it 5 times more quickly.

We used Gargraves on our club layout. Even though Gargraves ties are huge, it is remarkable how the combination of ballasting and a normal low angle view of the track makes for a very pleasing scale appearance.

Bob

Thanks for the tip on auctions Geojr!  I am rather new to the O gauge world and am at the plywood and supports stage of putting together a three rail layout with three levels.  Lots of switches and track for the layout plan I have.  Trying to use flex track but the cost of Atlas flex rather put me on the back foot.  I like the look of the Atlas and have some on the way that I can see about bending.  I have been getting Ross switches used and that has been a great approach so far.  Ordered new as well but they have not delivered so the Ross factory must be very backed up.  Like Atlas seems to be also backordered for months through Trainworld and discount sites.

If you have more auction sites that you could recommend I would really appreciate the information.

Cheers!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.