Skip to main content

Many years ago (over 10-15 at least) I bought a pair of these for my layout and successfully wired them using an ITAD and relay.  They worked beautifully for many years, but eventually one of them got stuck in the down/flashing position.  I decided to replace it and after an extensive search located them at an online model railroading shop and ordered 2 pairs of them.  

I wired them exactly as before, but I cannot get them to work... I've tried 3 of the 4 so far.  The symptom is that as soon as power (12v ac) is applied to red and black, the lights start flashing with the gate in the up position.  Touching either the white or yellow to common, or the blue wire (also supposed to be common) does nothing.  I cannot get the gate to move, or the lights to stop flashing, no matter what.  

Does anyone with familiarity with these have an idea?  They appeared to be new, in original packaging, from MTH/RailKing.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You should be able to stop the flashing by turning inward the screw labeled "gate top adjustment" in the following photo.

untitled

Photo is from this previous OGR thread which includes a component-level schematic of the crossing gate electronics for those curious exactly why a mis-adjusted screw will cause the flashers to flash when the gate is in the up position.

Separately, in re your broken gates parked in the down position, it's more than likely you have a cracked spur gear on the motor shaft.  This is a well-documented failure mode with several OGR threads.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • untitled
Mike CT posted:

Unfortunately the small plastic drive gear splits, and become loose. As mentioned, a fix is to super glue the gear to the shaft, though, IMO, not a long term fix.   Best wishes with your project.  

...And, as mentioned in several posts on this accessory through the past few years, the other 'fix' for the split gear is a brass replacement by Northwest Shortline (NWSL), p/n 37410-6.

KD

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.