Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Woe is me. I charged my Southern E3 PS2.0 more than 24 hrs with the little MTH charger and pin plug. I placed the engine on the powered track, added it (wouldn't start up on the earlier setting of #3) as #5, it started nicely. I accidentally hit the emergency off button and shut it down. Hit READ, found the TIU, would not reactivate the engine. Woe is me. Since the engine started once I figured the battery was O.K. I do have a BCR that I would rather not install (I don't like the delay when people are here). This engine has been "resistant" from the get-go. Repair shop? Or? Thanks.

Wally,

Put up with a 5 sec delay and run the BCR, it eliminates all this other crazy stuff

and the BCR's last almost for ever.  Purchased my 263E MTH Repro from Frank at the Iron Horse Hobby Shop, long ago when the P2 engines 1st came out, had him install a BCR before I even brought her home, Frank is running trains in heaven now and my BCR still functions perfectly and I do not have any problems with ID's or anything else.

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

Wally,

I have just resolved the same problem in my Rail King Flying Yankee. The MTH NiCad battery in the Yankee did not hold a charge. I bought new NiCad battery at harbor freight for $6 less 25% using a discount coupon. These batteries are good for 800 charges, so says a statement on the package. You can buy at least 4 NiCads for the price of one BCR.

Caution: In some MTH engines, the battery is very close to the electronics. If the new NiCad battery has a metal case, wrap it with electrical tape.

Back atcha guys: Joe: I thoroughly charged the battery and reentered the engine and it started.  PCRR Dave: I have a BCR and may install it later.  Gunrunner john: What is "looking for a lost engine"? Gregg: I emptied the remote and started over to no avail.

Bobby Ogage: Is that a 9V rechargeable?  Gunrunner: "roll my own"- how? Joe Allen: "power down the TIU"; I'm not sure how you do that; does that happen when powering down the remote?  To All:  Some good news: If I shut down the ZW with all three engines running, they will all start up again! Hurray! Can it be that simple? Do I then just shut down the remote? 

Wally, here's a link to the Build a BCR Clone PDF document.  This was compiled from several members posts so I'd have the complete thing in one place.

I cut and pasted some posts into a document, I've attached it here.

Here's the actual order I placed at Digikey for my parts the last time.

I had the connectors for the 3V BCR, so I didn't order any of those.

1121182-1007-NDCAP SUPER 3.3F 2.7V RADIAL 12
Immediate
02.28800$27.46
2181N5223B-TPCT-NDDIODE ZENER 500MW 2.7V DO35 18
Immediate
00.20700$3.73
35232K-NDSTRAP BATT ECON 9V I STYLE 4"LD 5
Immediate
00.53000$2.65
44589-1007-NDCAP SUPER 1.5F 5.0V RADIAL 4
Immediate
04.52000$18.08