Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Looking at a 6464-200 boxcars and noticed the metal door rails are tarnished. Did the bluing not take at the factory? Is this common with other 6464 postwar boxcars?

Some rust from FWT,  oil from your hands also does that,  I bought gun blue to touch up my dads shotgun came out good, give that a try I did blue some pw items came out ok

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Looking at a 6464-200 boxcars and noticed the metal door rails are tarnished. Did the bluing not take at the factory? Is this common with other 6464 postwar boxcars?

Yes the rust / tarnish is a pain, easy way to remove the rivet is take a soldering iron, put it against the rivet head, careful with not applying to much heat and pull rivet out gently, don't over heat or you will damage the plastic, as for the rails they do sell them mostly aftermarkets, Good Luck.

@oldpirate posted:

Yes the rust / tarnish is a pain, easy way to remove the rivet is take a soldering iron, put it against the rivet head, careful with not applying to much heat and pull rivet out gently, don't over heat or you will damage the plastic, as for the rails they do sell them mostly aftermarkets, Good Luck.

That sounds like a very risky way to remove the rivets. I have a different trick that usually works well. A pair of sharp heavy duty flush cutters can be used to get under the head of the rivet and carefully squeezing them will lift the rivet enough to get a pair of pliers on there to pull it out. My preferred cutters are Xuron rail nippers used for cutting HO rail.

That sounds like a very risky way to remove the rivets. I have a different trick that usually works well. A pair of sharp heavy duty flush cutters can be used to get under the head of the rivet and carefully squeezing them will lift the rivet enough to get a pair of pliers on there to pull it out. My preferred cutters are Xuron rail nippers used for cutting HO rail.

Yes it can be risky if one does not take their time and use a little common sense, as I said apply very little heat to the rivet head and lift as shown with flat head screw driver, notice the iron tip is flat, also helps having steady hands, to reinstall, set the rivet as far as it goes in then if needed apply small heat pushing it into place, have yet to ruin one,

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20230210_095242
  • 20230210_095315

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.