Skip to main content

Hello everyone.  I've been working on my old buddy's 1952 turbine. The well paint-chipped body was pretty filthy so I gave it a good wash with Ivory soap. I'm not re-painting but any luster that might have been left is gone now. What would be good to restore even a little shine? I'm thinking maybe spray Pledge or Armour-All. Any better ideas out there? Thanks for any tips.

Tony Sincius

TCA# 97-45101

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tony, the Sept. issue of Classic Toy Trains has an excellent article with very nice pictures about "Turbine Tune-UP".  You can make the 671 look like it just can out of the box. 

For a quick clean-up you can spray the body with WD-40 and wipe is down with a soft cotton cloth.  Many of the LHS who sell PW do this to give the loco and tender curb appeal.  Good luck with your project.  BTW I have six of those PW s-2 turbines...they're one of my favorites

On a friend's recommendation, I have been experimenting with Zymol liquid cleaner / wax.  While I would not use it on any "collector" items, it does seem to do a nice job improving the finish of the "runner" items on which I've tried it.

If there is any lettering or numbers left, I'd be careful around them.

I do not have much experience with the product yet.

The problem with any cleaner/wax is getting the material out of the cracks and crevices. I find that an old, clean, and dry toothbrush does a reasonable job. Sometimes I will go through several toothbrushes on a single job. When I am finished, I wash out the toothbrush(es), and let it dry before the next use.

Zymol has a range of products.

Last edited by C W Burfle
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.