Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

superwarp1 posted:
Hot Water posted:

No videos of the derailment? I understand that she maybe already close to being rerailed by now.

Derailment????

Right. The rail rolled over as a result of some broken gauge bars. Except for the lead truck, the whole engine was on the ground. The 765 guys are professionals, and with lots of oak planks & blocking, it shouldn't have been a big deal to have her up in no time. Pizza and beer for the volunteers!

OGR Webmaster posted:

The ties in our shop tracks are old and tired. On the curve east of the shop a couple of gauge rods broke. This allowed the gauge to spread and the outside wheels dropped in. No big deal...

765 On The Ground

The pony truck and the #1 driver were still on the rails. Drivers 2, 3 and 4 are on the ground.

Didn't this, or something similar, also happen about ten years ago?

Did you have to get a diesel to pull her back on using re-railers?  

The last time our crew was on the ground (ice) the road repair truck had a  hydraulic jack that jacked up the complete front  truck(diesel) and could also move the engine side to side. Pretty slick.

The hardest  and longest part is getting everything set up .

Gregg posted:

Did you have to get a diesel to pull her back on using re-railers?  

They have their own industrial diesel. However, those big metal re-railers are not generally used for steam locomotives. Good solid/thick Oak planks/blocking work best.

The last time our crew was on the ground (ice) the road repair truck had a  hydraulic jack that jacked up the complete front  truck(diesel) and could also move the engine side to side. Pretty slick.

The hardest  and longest part is getting everything set up .

Rich, I've been involved in re-railing a lot of cars and diesel-electric engines, but never steam.

When using a diesel to inch wheels (either engine or car) up onto blocks or frogs, I always kept about 20 PSI of independent brake cylinder pressure and moved the throttle to Run 2, sometimes Run 3, and lightly feathered the brake cylinder down to where movement occurred, but always keeping the brakes applied.  (If retailing a car, I always kept a minimum brake pipe reduction in effect, too, so the car had brakes applied.)  When the wheel comes up on top of the blocks, the person in charge wants the movement to stop now, and, when the brakes are still applied and the throttle is moved quickly to IDLE, movement instantly stops and stays put.

However, with steam, the throttle is opened and closed quickly, more than once, to gradually build up enough cylinder pressure to initiate movement.  The difference is that, to move only a few inches, shutting off the throttle does not instantly drop the power like it does on a diesel.  Once moving, the piston wants to use all the pressure built up before it stops moving.

What's your throttle and brake technique for finessing the 765 into movement of only inches?

Number 90 posted:

What's your throttle and brake technique for finessing the 765 into movement of only inches?

When moving the 765 where inches are critical, I have also used the 15-20 psi in the independent brake technique and/or a light set on the car(s).

Stopping the 765 on a dime is tougher than with a diesel because you can't immediately and completely cut the power as you can when you go to idle with the diesel throttle. However, slamming the throttle shut and opening the cylinder cocks at the same time when you hear the "That'll do!" command works almost as well. Opening the cocks immediately drops the pressure in the cylinders and provides an exhaust path for the steam while slamming the throttle shut cuts of the supply of steam. And of course, the independent brake gets applied quickly as well. It's not as precise as a diesel, but it works pretty well.

We also brief the guy who will be giving the commands on the ground about anticipating the stops just a little. It usually doesn't hurt if we stop a couple of inches too soon. However even an inch too late can make things a bit worse. Sort of a "2 steps forward and 1 step back." process.

Last edited by Rich Melvin
Gregg posted:

Will you use  a diesel to pull her back on?.... It seems  when the engine moves forward there will have to be a lot of track work done as well  to keep the trucks under the cab and tender on the track.

Very interesting stuff.

The tender did not derail, and has already been seperated from the engine, so that part won't be a problem.

Last edited by Rich Melvin
OGR Webmaster posted:
slamming the throttle shut and opening the cylinder cocks at the same time when you hear the "That'll do!" command works almost as well. Opening the cocks immediately drops the pressure in the cylinders and provides an exhaust path for the steam while slamming the throttle shut cuts of the supply of steam.

Rich wouldn't fiddling with the reverser give you more control?  I'm thinking that admitting some steam to the opposite side of the cylinder (instead of venting to atmosphere) would provide compression braking, just like downshifting in a car.  Or would this play havoc with the rods and crank pins?  Fascinating!!

Dieselbob posted:
Gregg posted:

Will you use  a diesel to pull her back on?.... It seems  when the engine moves forward there will have to be a lot of track work done as well  to keep the trucks under the cab and tender on the track.

Very interesting stuff.

The tender did not derail, and has already been seperated from the engine, so that part won't be a problem.

Thank you.  That would mean the engine wouldn't be under it's own power and now has to be pulled back on.

I didn't think it would.  . I'm guessing pulling her back on might be a struggle for  a diesel as well. HW mentioned they have a industrial diesel  or maybe they have  something else in mind/ Bulldozer etc.? 

Did the drivers also derail on the engineman's side? How about the trucks under the cab?

Last edited by Gregg
Gregg posted:
Dieselbob posted:
Gregg posted:

Very interesting stuff.

Thank you.  That would mean the engine wouldn't be under it's own power and now have to be pulled back on.

Not necessarily. We're going to fill the boiler with compressed air for a little extra "umph." We did use the engine to move itself sans tender once or twice Saturday evening - quite surreal, but entirely possible with air from the diesel and 190lbs of steam in the boiler. We have two industrial switchers now, but even they struggled to move it on the curve. Drivers L 1-2 and R1 are on the rail. The engine truck is also derailed.

I plan to post a little video re-cap of the events once we complete the process this weekend. Stay tuned.

Last edited by nathansixchime
Ted Sowirka posted:

Rich wouldn't fiddling with the reverser give you more control?  I'm thinking that admitting some steam to the opposite side of the cylinder (instead of venting to atmosphere) would provide compression braking, just like downshifting in a car.  Or would this play havoc with the rods and crank pins?  Fascinating!!

No...the reverse gear moves far too slowly to be of any use in a situation like this.

nathansixchime posted:
Gregg posted:
Dieselbob posted:
Gregg posted:

Very interesting stuff.

Thank you.  That would mean the engine wouldn't be under it's own power and now have to be pulled back on.

Not necessarily. We're going to fill the boiler with compressed air for a little extra "umph." We did use the engine to move itself sans tender once or twice Saturday evening - quite surreal, but entirely possible with air from the diesel and 190lbs of steam in the boiler. We have two industrial switchers now, but even they struggled to move it on the curve. Drivers L 1-2 and R1 are on the rail. The engine truck is also derailed.

I plan to post a little video re-cap of the events once we complete the process this weekend. Stay tuned.

Still tuned in.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.