Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Borden Tunnel:

Back on 4/16/2015 on Trains.com, associate ed. Steve Sweeney did a blog (Trains of Thought) on chasing the 765 trips from Buffalo to Corning, including details on Attica Hill. This info is available to all, and does not require membership.

Thanks for the link Borden. Steve may be optimistic if he thinks he can keep up with Rich on these back roads. Even knowing the roads on a sport bike you would have to wick it up to triple digit speeds on the country roads to make up for the time lost in the small towns. I had to wait at a crossing for a NS autorack train that was defintely moving at over 60 mph. I suspect Rich will be doing at least that.

Steve may be able to keep up on the stretch the parallels NY 70 though and parts south of Canisteo along the Canisteo river road.

Pete

Originally Posted by Norton:
I had to wait at a crossing for a NS autorack train that was defintely moving at over 60 mph. I suspect Rich will be doing at least that.

Freight speed is 50mph for much of the Southern Tier, 765 is limited to 40mph.

Originally Posted by TURTLE 2:

On the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society website under FAQ it refers to a GPS App for the iphone. What is it called or how do I find it. Thanks

I believe the App is currently unavailable. Check back closer to the excursion dates.

Anyone planning to chase east from Bison, please be careful, particularly if you are not familiar with the roads.  Do your route research.  Also, watch out for Smokey.

IMO, best chasing is between CP-Cass (Hornell) and Gang Mills -- a little research beforehand will show you several points along the way.

Poppyl

For those riding the train, scenery is pretty fine east and south of Attica. For those chasing the train, Dale Rd from West Middlebury to just north of Warsaw is close to the tracks and traffic is very light. Same for NY 70 from Dalton to Canaserga. Take county rd 961 to Arkport instead of NY 36. Hornell will be slow so look for alternate routes to Canisteo if you want to keep up. The Canisteo River rd (county rd 119) crosses the tracks at least twice. Some parts are bumpy but should be OK at 40MPH. 

East of Attica is mostly country. The pace of life is slower and locals tend to drive at or below the 55 mph speed limit. Places to pass are minimal. Don't risk your life or that of others trying to keep pace.

Pete

Originally Posted by BessemerSam:

I plan on being in Buffalo/Attic this weekend for an un related family obligation; however, I have an aunt and uncle who would like to see the 765 go by....

Rich, any idea what time the 765 will travel through Attica? Unless I'm mistaken the train leaves Buffalo at 8 am each day and Corning at 2 pm. So in t he mornings, perhaps 9 - 9:30 in the mornings and 4:30 - 5 in the afternoons.

Sam, Have your aunt and uncle catch the train at Spring Rd. This will be one of the best spots to take pics as the train will be heading up hill in the morning and the road is in close proximity to the tracks for at least 1/2 mile.

This pic only shows about half of the section adjacent to the road.

Pete

Last edited by Norton
Originally Posted by Norton:

I plan on being in Buffalo/Attic this weekend for an un related family obligation; however, I have an aunt and uncle who would like to see the 765 go by....

Rich, any idea what time the 765 will travel through Attica? Unless I'm mistaken the train leaves Buffalo at 8 am each day and Corning at 2 pm. So in t he mornings, perhaps 9 - 9:30 in the mornings and 4:30 - 5 in the afternoons.

Sam, Have your aunt and uncle catch the train at Spring Rd. This will be one of the best spots to take pics as the train will be heading up hill in the morning and the road is in close proximity to the tracks for at least 1/2 mile.

This pic only shows about half of the section adjacent to the road.

Pete

Thanks. I will see what I can do. We are not from the area (Crawford, Mercer, Erie counties in PA). May just catch it going through town.

..perhaps 9 - 9:30 in the mornings and 4:30 - 5 in the afternoons...

I think that would be about right...

Originally Posted by JR Junction:
...I heard a rumor there are air conditioning issues in the coaches...

As usual, the rumor mill is flat-out wrong. No AC issues at all in any of the cars. We just ran the train this last weekend and they all worked fine, in 88 degree heat!

Last edited by Rich Melvin
Originally Posted by OGR Webmaster:
...I heard a rumor there are air conditioning issues in the coaches...

As usual, the rumor mill is flat-out wrong. No AC issues at all in any of the cars. We just ran the train this last weekend and they all worked fine, in 88 degree heat!

THAT is great news!  Thank you for clearing that up.  I don't think my father could handle the heat health-wise, so that makes me feel better.

I look forward to seeing you Sunday.

-PhilAE

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.