Skip to main content

On August 4-5, steam returned to the Norfolk & Western Pocahontas District as NKP 765 and the NS Employee Appreciation Specials came to Williamson, West Virginia.  Two trips were operated each day.  The first trip headed south to the wye at Devon/Ought One.  The second trip operated north to the wye at Wolf Creek.  This second trip was a pleasant surprise as the original schedule called for turning at Naugatuck, and the extra 4-5 miles to Wolf Creek allowed some extra scenery and Tunnel 1.  Other commitments kept me from going Saturday, but here are the Sunday pictures.  Hard to chase with a 40mph train, a bunch of your friends clogging the blacktop, and roads that don’t exactly follow the tracks, but the scenery made up for it, I think.

Kevin

Hatfield Tunnels

Chattaroy Church

Wolf Creek

Tunnel 1 South

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Hatfield Tunnels
  • Chattaroy Church
  • Wolf Creek
  • Tunnel 1 South
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On Monday, August 6, 2012, NKP 765 ferried north from Williamson, WV to Columbus, Ohio on her way to Pennsylvania.  Torrential rains in Williamson that were causing flooding in the downtown area delayed the departure until 11:30AM.  Once moving, 765 quickly got up to 43-44mph, and stayed there for the majority of the day as she travelled over the former Norfolk & Western mainline.  A service stop was held in Portsmouth, where about 600 people turned out to see the 765.  Then, the afternoon sun provided some great light for pacing as she barreled northbound for an early evening arrival in Columbus.

Today was the last day for the hooter whistle, as it would be exchanged for a Pennsylvania Railroad 3-chime tomorrow for the run to Pittsburgh.  Interestingly enough, that hooter has been getting progressively higher pitched each day, and today was almost a dead ringer for the 1218’s whistle.

Kevin

Just north of Williamson

Tunnel 1 North

Scioto River Bridge at Chillicothe

Ashville Silos

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Just north of Williamson
  • Tunnel 1 North
  • Scioto River Bridge at Chillicothe
  • Ashville Silos

Having the 765 back in WV was very special to me. It was my grandfather who got me into steam and the 765. I was very honored to get to fire the locomotive in my home state. I brought a picture of my grandfather on the 765 with me and had it on the engine with me so in a sense I could fire the 765 in WV with my grandather along for the ride!

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.