Skip to main content

i sold my old 765 when i bought the new one.  the styrofoam insert from the old one had some damage, so i used the insert from the new one instead.  my new 765 arrived OK (thanks, i think, to some intervention by Nicholas Smith).  however, the old one arrived with a broken pilot bearing.  

could a defect in the styrofoam design be causing the breakage?

Last edited by Forrest Jerome
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I commend you for trying to ship the engine in as secure packing as possible. Sometimes things just happen. I sent a nice OGR FORUM member a VisionLine Challenger and it was fine when it left me, but did not work exactly right when they received it. Luckily they were able to take it to a Lionel Repair Center and get it fixed. This was the best way I could help getting the problem resolved. I Triple Packed this engine, and I think UPS throws them like Footballs. Happy Railroading. 

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago in a thread complaining about UPS and Fedex service.  I think some of the damage is the mfrs. fault in that they pack them so tight that a lot of the impact is transferred to the product.  Items would survive travel better with some type of softer cushioning.

Dennis

What I still find odd is that the rest of the engine and tender arrived just fine.  What kind of rough handling would damage only the front pilot?

What's worth mentioning (again) is that Forrest sent me the first legacy NKP Berk (11212) in the styrofoam packaging that the new NKP Legacy Berk (11454) comes in.  It appears that the culprit here may actually be the styrofoam boxes the new Berks come in.

A package that my wife ordered arrived a few days ago. I saw the FedEx truck stop in front of the house but the driver got to my door well before I could, thanks to my being on crutches due to recent foot/ankle surgery. Before I could get to the door I heard the package loudly bang against it, followed by the doorbell and the driver's hasty retreat to his truck. The cardboard box was dinged and slightly torn so I opened it to inspect for damage. Luckily everything was OK but I would have immediately contacted FedEx if it wasn't, and probably should have done so anyway, as an afterthought. The items she ordered were not as fragile as a model train, but I hate to imagine how trains would have faired under this treatment. If this is how packages are handled at the recipient's door I can only imagine how they are handled during the rest of the process. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.