Skip to main content

I know this forum section does not have the most scratchbuilders but the topic of O scale 86 Hy-Cube box cars was started here....so I'll post this here too....

Today I got the major assembly completed on my version of a 86 foot Hy-Cube car. I say my version because it is totally freelance car. I wanted to knock this one out fast just to see how big the thing would be and how well it would run on O-72 track. I found the basic car info on the net and simplified a few things and used designs from other cars that were easy to build over a 100% correct Hy-Cube. There are a few guys on the scale area of this fourmm that build fantastic scale cars that are correct but I built mine to see if I could do it!! Mine is also set up to operate, I hope, on O-72 track and thus has minimal underframe details. The trucks are Atlas Roller Bearing trucks with rotating caps. I have had to alter the coupler mount and will finalize it soon.....made them long as too short is harder to fix! Have not decided what paint it will get but more than likely fictitious as to match the cars heritage! Frame is 1/4" poplar topped with an inner structure of matt board. Sheet styrene .040 think was cut and applied over the matt for exterior shell. Weld seams are .020 rod. Basic but I like it. I have enough frame and body parts for another but will see how this one does before building it. Thanks!!

DSCN0684

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0684
Last edited by AMCDave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Looks good.  And goes to show that you're smarter than me.  Or less neurotic.  I get so hung up on the scale fidelity to the car I want to model that I never get it built.

One question I have for you is how did you do the doors.  Did you scratch these as well, or use a commercial part?  I'm thinking of making masters in styrene and then resin casting them.  Except I've never cast anything.  So I'm scared.

I'll get around to it someday.

Jim

Originally Posted by big train:

Looks good.  And goes to show that you're smarter than me.  Or less neurotic.  I get so hung up on the scale fidelity to the car I want to model that I never get it built.

One question I have for you is how did you do the doors.  Did you scratch these as well, or use a commercial part?  I'm thinking of making masters in styrene and then resin casting them.  Except I've never cast anything.  So I'm scared.

I'll get around to it someday.

Jim

I have a box full of projects that stalled because I got too concerned with the micro details. My new mind set is have fun and make them look decent and run better. I did the plastic model thing, still do, national level contest building. Got 1-2 done a year. But now I look for more fun than contest builds.

Doors are laser cut and detailed. I could have cast them but the cost would be higher for me unless I was building a bunch.

Originally Posted by Enginear-Joe:
Originally Posted by AMCDave:
Originally Posted by Enginear-Joe:

Love to see this kind of building!! Very nice work.

Somebody make me a G scale one!! 

Ooops!

I know Allan, wrong forum.

There is a guy building a fleet in G scale.....I used some of his info for my build!

Hmmm, Psst. who??

Give me a site?

jwpcfv(at)msn.com

http://www.mylargescale.com/Co...v/topic/Default.aspx

Check out posts by DTI356 and Burl Rice.  I don't think Burl is as active with the build threads anymore.  But some of the older posts show a lot of techniques for creating parts and whole cars.  Both guys turn out some amazing stuff.

I believe you're a member over there?

Jim

Originally Posted by ddgoose69:
Where did you get your laser cutter and what model? I want to get one.

I have a New Hermes 25 watt 12x18 laser table. It's about 12 years old but was top of the line when made. Run correctly it cuts very nice almost no clean up lines. I cut wood, matt, foamcore and plastic on it.

I have not looked at prices in ten years so I don't know what you would have to pay today for a laser table. But one like mine will do anything a modeler needs. Beware you need to be pretty good at Corel Draw software to control the laser cutting.

If you'd like more info contact me offline....THX

Sounds good.  I would be interested in any information concerning the laser cutting, detailing, and data you worked from, if you were so inclined.  I've looked on the web about having styrene laser cut.  I'm curious about the cost and effectiveness.

Jim

Commercial laser cutting is around $2 a minutelast time I looked. Cutting the parts for my car would run about 30 minutes plus set up. The issue you may have is providing the 'art', via Corel Draw, as input to the laser. When run correctly laser cut parts are almost ready to use. Mine cuts and engraves at the same time so when I cut the sides I engraved the weld seams. Again contact me offline for more info. THX

I'm thinking of making masters in styrene and then resin casting them.  Except I've never cast anything.  So I'm scared.

Nothing to be scared of - just like anything else, it just takes a bit of practice.

I'm casting trolley car sides, end and roof sections for one of my kits - got an order for 5 of them along with some orders for my traction flat car kits.

Actually, if you get the door sections assembled and have 1 good assembly as a master, making the mold and pouring resin is the easy part.

I have plans to scratch build an "8-door" version of the 86 foot high cube. I will "body-mount" the couplers but allow for the couplers to move side to side so the car can operate on O-72 curves without derailing. I will also make the doors operable so that the interior can be made visible.

I will copy the Athearn HO scale model. See attachments which show the Athearn HO scale model.

Note: I am looking for O scale decals for either the PRR car or the NYC Cigar logo car.

ATHEARN PRR HIGH CUBE HO 3

ATHEARN PRR HIGH CUBE HO

Attachments

Images (2)
  • ATHEARN PRR HIGH CUBE HO 3
  • ATHEARN PRR HIGH CUBE HO
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.