Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Joe,

Are the LEDs you used the bright white ones shown in the sellers link?  I guess if you were trying to simulate fluorescent bulbs that would work.  How many fiber strands did you feed with each light?  I checked the sellers "store" and I didn't see any warm white bulbs.  That's what I would be interested in.  Do you think you could substitute a different LED bulb for the ones in the kit?

John

I fed up to six strands, I think, from one source. Of course, the more strands there are, the less light is transmitted through each strand. Also, the longer the strand, the less light reaches the end. But that's why the kit was helpful. I was able to experiment. And clearly, we're not talking LED type brightness here. I get a pretty subdued effect from using fiber, and for other applications (like the fluorescent light tubes in my Times Square station) LED's worked better.

As to color, what I did was color the flared end of the strand with marker to simulate an incandescent tunnel light bulb. For signals, I covered the opening with colored plastic film. That's when I discovered that the light sources had a blue-ish tint to them: to get green, I actually had to use a yellow film!

You can ask the vendor if you have questions.  He always was good at answering mine.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.