Skip to main content

Nice building but I'm a little surprised Menards simply re- hashed the same basic building structure (American Power and Light building) and morphed it into the Pepsi plant.  I mean with the recent unique and well thought out structures they have rolled out,...... just a little surprised.  Still awaiting a large, weathered coaling plant/tipple for my coaling yard.......................

I would like to get this just not sure where I would put it on my smallish layout. Since I prefer Pepsi over the other soft drinks, or Dr. Pepper. Though I could also say I am getting to represent what used to be in the city where I live, though I not sure if it was a bottling plant or some other Pepsi factory

Last edited by tcochran

Thanks for posting, Cabinet Bob! I owe you one!

Here's some history:

Before carbonated beverages were readily available for our enjoyment, Caleb Davis Bradham concocted a stomach tonic in 1898. Known as “Brad’s Drink,” this remarkable blend of sugar, water, caramel, nutmeg and other natural additives became a fan favorite. Realizing that he had crafted a refreshing carbonated beverage, he renamed the drink “Pepsi-Cola.” As demand for Pepsi-Cola increased, Bradham decided it was time to offer the delicious drink in bottle form.

In 1904, Bradham purchased a building in New Bern, North Carolina, where he produced the syrup and bottled the soda. With proper trademarks and logos in place, the Pepsi-Cola Company continued to expand. By 1910, the company had 240 bottling franchises in 24 states. Each bottling plant was outfitted with advanced mixing and filling equipment, which helped promote Pepsi-Cola sales in the long run.

And here are the features:

Prebuilt, prelit and ready to go! This O Gauge Pepsi® Bottling Plant is our interpretation of what a fully functioning bottling factory may look like in the United States. Beautifully lit with 24 LED lights, this structure has an impressive presence that demands very little real estate on your layout. In fact, this model is specially designed with a 4” W x 5.75” H tunnel, which allows the structure to sit over your existing O gauge tracks without taking up too much room.

Additional features of this spectacular building include an electronic Pepsi® sign with multiple lighting patterns and 3 animated roof vents that rotate in unison. Along with Jack the German Shepherd, 4 O scale figures can be also be seen working hard throughout the display. Plus, you will also notice a water tower with a blinking red LED light and 3 loading docks where cases of soda are loaded for deliveries.

Pepsi Bottling Plant (279-3860) Shop Now!

Here is an illustration of the footprint.

Don't forget, now through 6/14/17, get a FREE Flatcar with Kubota Tractor when you purchase any O gauge train item $19.99 or higher! Shop now!

Today’s email will be sending out later today. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
Menards posted:

Today’s email will be sending out later today. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark.... just requesting again that you unveil new items with a completely new thread and not at the tail end a of multi-post, multi-day thread like this.  The item gets buried in the weeds this way.  Thanks!  

tcochran posted:

I would like to get this just not sure where I would put it on my smallish layout. Since I prefer Pepsi over the other soft drinks, or Dr. Pepper. Though I could also say I am getting to represent what used to be in the city where I live, though I not sure if it was a bottling plant or some other Pepsi factory

tcochran,

Just one thing to consider, this building straddles the track. As long as you have 1/2" of space on one side of the track, you only need a 5-1/2" x 14-1/2" area on the other side to make it fit. That's a lot of building in a little space!

(See the footprint illustration above)

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

RadioRon posted:
Menards posted:

Thank you,

Mark.... just requesting again that you unveil new items with a completely new thread and not at the tail end a of multi-post, multi-day thread like this.  The item gets buried in the weeds this way.  Thanks!  

RadioRon,

I understand. The issue I am tying to avoid is having 4 threads about the same subject (especially if I have 3 teasers for a single item). It gets to be a lot either way I do it.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
jay jay posted:
jay jay posted:

A Pepsi bottling plant.

Hey! I guessed right. What do I win? 

Kudos to you, jay jay!

You win the opportunity to get a free flatcar with Kubota tractor with any O gauge purchase $19.99 or higher!

But seriously, great guess! I love it when we get this kind of participation!

Thanks jay jay!

-Mark the Train Guy

Jim 1939 posted:

Well Duh they have all used the same building for different signage. It keeps cost down and still offers something different.

I do not see any shared parts between the power plant and the Pepsi plant. They may share materials but it's like saying all brick buildings are the same.  This method Menard's is using of laser cut major parts combined with separate details has enabled them to produce a GREAT variety of structures in a short time at a price MUCH lower than a injection molded structure.  The fact they have two structures that use a simulated metal siding does not mean the buildings are  the same. I see the huge positive that they are bringing to the hobby.  

Wild Mary, I was thinking a Coors Brewery! 

Dave, I agree Menards is bringing more to the hobby then others are and in a faster manner! I just wish they didn't sell out of some of the really good stuff so fast. I have to wait to see if there will be a second run on some things, but to date I am very happy with everything I have got from them!

paul 2 posted:

Nothing wrong with using the same type of building again. These are differences between the two. I plan on ordering it. It is somewhat more modern then I should be using but the old saying is I gotta have it. Plus it give me another industry to switch cars to.................Paul

Paul, you are so going to need the Pepsi building right down the track from the Morton salt building, People are going to need a place to get something to drink after working all day around the salt! LOL

John Pignatelli JR. posted:

No Pepsi, Coke cola only.  

I assumed that was a joke, but I know plenty of people who would rather drink sewer water than the 'other' soda than what they drink. It annoys the heck out of me as when our friends all go somewhere, some won't go unless they can get 'their' soda where we're going.

Me, I most like Doctor Pepper and Mountain Dew if I'm buying something for myself, but I have zero problem drinking pretty much any mainstream soda with the same level of satisfaction. My wife, though, is as picky as a spoiled child when it comes to liquids. You should see the looks on server's faces at restaurants when I tell them, "Coke or Pepsi" when ordering. I've heard countless times in response how rare it is for someone to not care which.

In college, I took a marketing class and it talked about a blind taste test a school did and they discovered almost 100% of people said they could tell the difference, but a comically small number really could (I can't recall the exact details of the study, but was far more complex than just unmarked two cups). I don't even bother telling people that anymore because some of the worst arguments I've ever gotten into were from people who swore they were the exception, of course.

I'm certain there'll be people who won't buy this structure only because it has the Pepsi brand and they don't drink it. And that'd be so sad.

I can't use it only because it's not the era I model, but I think it's a very cool structure

Mark, love this just ordered one. These buildings that have a small footprint and are railroad switching indistries are perfect. More on the same please. Maybe some backdrop flats with loading docks to spot cars. Like say an old furniture whearhouse. Or a factory with a brick style and large windows with dock doors and loading docks. All lighted of course. 

banjoflyer posted:
jim sutter posted:

This is a great looking building. There was a time when I loved to drink Pepsi with some chocolate mixed in. Now a days I drink very little pop. Water and coffee are my main drinks now. If I had a layout, this building would definitely be on it.

When offered an alcoholic beverage I always say "I never drink anything stronger than Pop!"...  of course "Pop will drink almost anything!" 

I come from the south where every soda beverage is called Coke. The exchange always went like this:

"Can I get a coke, please?"

"What flavor did you want, honey?"

The response didn't mean the various types of coke, as in diet or vanilla or cherry, they were asking what type soda you wanted.

I don't know if it's still like that, though.

Wow!  What amazes me is how the building looks like the Power building but, on closer inspection, it is unique and different.  They are both square industrial buildings but the Pepsi building truly is different -- dock doors, basic structure, overall dimensions, signage, colors, people, add-on pipes and parts -- unlike other o gauge manufacturers who release new buildings using the same basic building and changing the colors and signage -- VERY COOL -- MTH/Lionel take note.  This deserves recognition.  I don't know how Menards manages to do this, but all these rapid-fire releases amaze me -- like they have a O Gauge magic wand!  I hope they are making money because I am having fun buying what I can and wishing for the stuff I am saving for.  This Pepsi plant ranks, man!  I like the fact that Menards is taking note and emphasizing footprint.  I've since purchased electronics to make these puppies work on an AC Lionel/MTH transformers -- haven't done the hook-ups yet but have the parts -- perhaps the Menards Guy's wheels are turning on this point, too...

That's a very good question.  The vehicles do vary in size and scale like all of o gauge.  I bought a few Herman's Sauerkraut vans to match the building and they were undersized compared to other O gauge vehicles.  Part of the problem is I model 1:50 in farm equipment and medium sized trucks and semi trailers but 1:43 in cars and motorcycles.  Having matching vehicles to buildings, however, makes me try my best for forced perspective by moving the vehicles to and from the building to make it look right.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.