Skip to main content

What is is your opinion on these material for a layout. I have read Scenery Techniques by Peter Riddle and he suggests foam board as a table top. However, Mianne Benchwork suggests plywood. I need to know advantages and disadvantages of both other then being able to walk on plywood. Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Weight is the main factor. If it never moves, that strikes a blow for the foam. If it's portable or needs to stash away, then foam is easier to handle but not very durable (corners, etc.)

Sound - both are loud. Plywood normally requires something added on top (homasote, foam, cork) and foam as a table top isn't as quiet as some might think.

Holding nails or screws - Plywood for sure. Foam might hold for a while but the material is soft and those holes will eventually enlarge through movement.

Carving terrain - both need to have foam added in layers to build upward. To carve downward, the foam is easier but messier. 

Do yourself a favor: DON'T WALK/CLIMB/CRAWL ON YOUR TABLE TOP.   Plan your layout so that you may simply walk up to it to have access.  Nothing should be further than 30 inches away.  Far too many people have made this mistake in the past.  There are options other than huge rectangles of plywood.  The biggest issue with plywood is that is makes it tougher for scenery.  The foam allows you to place a "tree" truck easily into the surface.  Plywood is a great base!  Homasote--really expensive (about $25) fopr an 8 x 4 sheet is ideal top surface material, but too expensive for me.  I use a soft surface fiberboard ($10 a sheet) as a top layer and it is black in color--which is perfect as a scenery base coat.

HOW BIG IS YOUR ENTIRE Layout area?  How much space is there for left for people?   

If you are using Mianne benchwork, I would follow their advice and use the 1/2" plywood. I have Mianne benchwork and followed their advice using 1/2" Sandply from Home Depot. Worked great, HD even cut it up for me at no extra charge so I could handle it more easily and get it into the basement. Very happy with mine after 2-1/2 years. I am also planning to add on using the same Mianne and 1/2" Sandply. 

IMHO, the Mianne suggestion is more about saying it's okay to use 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4" plywood than it is about plywood vs foam. Old School says to use 1x4 L-girder with 3/4" plywood construction, but there are plenty of quality layouts done with 1x3s, 2x4's, 1/2", you name it. However, I don't know many who would recommend foam for a tabletop for O scale except where weight is a paramount concern. Woodland Scenics sells kits that are completely made with foam, but AFAIK those are designed to sit on a table.

My experience with 1" foam on a 12"x12" grid of 1x3s is that while it will support buildings, etc., it magnifies the noise because it's not designed to absorb sound and it dents easily. 2" foam on Mianne bench work with its 24" grid should be about the same as far as strength, etc., but noise would still be my concern. I needed the reduced weight because I had to be able to move it myself, but I wouldn't use foam as a tabletop on a permanent layout. I'm close to a decision to use Mianne too, and if I do, I'll use 1/2" plywood for the decking. An inside oval will be raised 3" and a tunnel and mountain will be made using layers of 1" foam (I haven't found anyone selling 2" here).

swav posted:

And a reminder as mentioned above. The expanded foam insulation, pink-blue-grey-or whatever, is a heat insulator, not a sound insulator.  It main advantage on a layout is for carving scenery

Correct! A lot of forumites have forwarded the idea of using foam insulation board as a noise suppressor - it is not! Cork, Homasote, QuietBrace and similar products are the ones to use for reducing noise.

Foam insulation board is great for making brick, cement block, rock and similar walls, and to simulate many other scenery details.

Alex

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.