Skip to main content

I chose a moderate priced 1:43 diecast automobile from American Heritage Models and an expensive priced one from Brooklin with the intent of comparing the value difference as it pertains to O-scale model railroad layouts. (understanding that 1:48 choices are minimal at this time.)

Here they are Head-To-Head:

DSCN0270

On the left is a Brooklin 1:43 diecast 1954 Buick Century 4-Door Sedan (msrp $134.95) and on the right is an American Heritage Models 1:43 1950 Ford 4-Door sedan (msrp $29.95)

Both cars have, what I can best tell, about the same level of detail. The pics tend to confirm that:

DSCN0252DSCN0258

One discrepancy with AHM Ford is the size of the antenna on the correct side of the car. It looks about 4 or 5 times too thick for my eyes.

DSCN0266

Brooklin took on the difficult task of recreating the Buick's chrome waterfall grill. It is far from perfect, but a reasonable attempt. North of $100 should have been a little better, IMO.

Too small for a pic, but the license plate of the AHM Ford was higher detail than the Brooklin Buick. I could read NY 50 (top row) and SN1262 (bottom row) on the AHM. There was only one row readable on the Brooklin: BKN 180.

Interior detail was very similar, but because the AHM Ford Sedan had its front windows down it was easier to see interior details.

An interesting discovery: The AHM Ford weighed 120 grams and the Brooklin Buick weighed in at 390 grams. The Brooklin is definitely paper weight worthy

Attachments

Images (4)
  • DSCN0270
  • DSCN0252
  • DSCN0258
  • DSCN0266
Last edited by TM Terry
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Next I wanted to compare the degree of fidelity to scale. In my search for dimensions on a 1954 Buick Century 4-Door Sedan, with the help of Google, I found a Buick website called hometownbuick.com with a wealth of information on Buicks from 1950 to 1959.

The dimensions of the 1950 Ford 4-Door Sedan is 71.7 inches wide x 196.8 inches long with a wheel base of 114 inches.

The dimensions of the 1954 Buick Century 4-Door Sedan is 76.8 inches wide x 206.3 inches long with a wheel base of 122 inches.

I measured to the nearest 1/16 inch as best I could the same dimensions on each auto.

The AHM Ford was 1 5/8 inches wide x 4 9/16 inches with a wheel base of 2 3/4 inches, which calculated to 1:44.1 scale width by 1:43.1 scale length with a 1:41.5 scale wheel base.

The Brooklin Buick was 1 13/16 inches wide x 4 3/4 inches long with a wheel base of 2 13/16 inches, which calculated to 1:42.3 scale width by 1:43.4 scale length with a 1:43 scale wheel base.

IMO, it is safe to say both are close to 1:43 scale.

DSCN0268

I summary, for O-scale model railroading, the additional cost of the Brooklin doesn't achieve greater visual value. The AHM Ford is still considered pricey by most all on this forum to the point that many would decline to invest in one.

I did encounter the problem of wanting a 1954 Buick Sedan, and if I really wanted one, the Brooklin was the only option that I could locate. BYW, I paid $25 for the AHM Ford and $80 for the Brooklin Buick (those prices did not include shipping). I am satisfied with both purchases and am looking for one more coupe or sedan from 1952 or 1953 to complete the automobile needs of my layout.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0268
Last edited by TM Terry

Thanks T M Terry for taking the time to post the comparisons. Most instructive

One of my biggest complaints of most Brooklin cars is the lack of chrome around the windshield, backlight, and door windows.  A lot of them lack the chrome trim as well.  Although the Buick shown here does. All of these can be added using bare metal foil, to be sure, and I have done so on lower price cars.  But I find this unacceptable for such high priced models.  Because of this, I have never bought a Brooklin model

Last edited by John Sethian
RickO posted:

On the Brooklin the trim, door handle detail, and wipers, all look like separately applied chrome pieces. The bumpers also look like chrome.

The AHM looks mostly silver painted and cast in. The bumpers also look silver painted.

The "chrome" looks very similar on both models, but tend to agree that the AHM looks more like silver paint, especially the windshield trim. A pic of both cars from the front. I wonder a little about the realistic look of the wipers on the AHM.

IMO, the Brooklin should have a visible rear view mirror behind the windshield.

DSCN0273

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0273

Right now for me, a vehicle has to be pretty special to spend more than $5 or $6 or so to buy it.  And, I have on a few occasions.  But probably no more than $20 each for a couple of different vehicles, at least for now.

I've also made some really good buys on used vehicles at train shows/meets.  Like as low as $2.00/$2.50 each or so (sometimes pick up 10 or 15 vehicles at a time with those kinda' prices).

I don't want to spend a lot of money on scenery fluff.  But then again, I'm more into the trains.  For those that might be more into diecast, more power to ya'!  I'm not gonna' knock what you like! 

Nice analysis'.  I also, will not purchase a Brooklyn model due to lack of what I consider basic detailing.  The metal headlights and lack of chrome/or even silver paint around door window frames, both windshields, don't do it for me.  I have applied " Bare Metal Foil" on 1: 24 cars, but have trouble with 1:43.  Most lower end cars require some additional detailing .  I use markers and paint to dress them up.  For the price of a Brooklyn, one can obtain quite a few low end models and dress them up...

How many makes from how many eras can you find in AHM?  Just '50's Fords?  That is the problem in a lot of scales.  In 1/24-1/25 you can find a lot of kits for early Fords, but few others, such as more common Chevies.  Early Chevies are rare in Brooklin, even.  There are a lot of Fords available, 1935's by Rextoy, etc., but many of my relatives drove Chevies in the '30's and '40's, and on into the '60's. Lack of variety is the problem.  Brooklin and a few other expensive models have more, as that Buick, which Brooklin has offered a series of.  Depends on how faithful a model you want your roads to be....all your trains are not pulled by 0-6-0's, or 44 tonners.  That, too, would save money.

Thanks for the information. I have always eyed the Brooklin models and wondered how nice they actually are, but could not justify the price in my head. Your review makes it even more clear to me that their models are over priced for the level of detail IMHO. 

Did the Buick not have side view mirrors in real life? How about an antenna? Both pear to be missing from the $100 model. 

Thanks again!

bigtruckpete posted:

Did the Buick not have side view mirrors in real life? How about an antenna? Both pear to be missing from the $100 model. 

Thanks again!

The 1954 Buick Century 4-Door Sedan did not have side rear view mirrors, as the Brooklin Buick correctly showed. 

I don’t have a pic to verify if the 1950 Ford 4-Door Sedan actually had side rear view mirrors on both sides of the car. As a kid I can recall most cars only had a driver’s side rear view mirror (they all had an interior rear view mirror.)

Not to dump too much on Brooklin...but here is a Tru Scale Minatures Buick Station wagon

They retail for around $50.00-$60.00.  Compare with the Brooklin at twice that.  This has wipers,  BUICK spelled out on the hood, Buick emblem in front of the filler door, inside rear view mirror, a very nicely done grille, clear headlights, a correct size antenna, very nice portals,  a full interior, chrome around the windshield, windows AND the vent window, a scale size spear, chrome around the gas filler door, a proper "see through" gun sight hood ornament....etc. 

My point is if you have to have a well detailed car on your layout for some sentimental or modeling reason, there are far better choices out there

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by John Sethian

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.