Skip to main content

"1:48 scale vehicles: It's time."

No. It's long overdue!! This is America!

We model here in 1:48 scale not 1:43!

Every other scale has vehicles available so why not O scale? Well, probably because most of the folks in O feel that 1:43 is good enough. I for one do not.

I intensely dislike the 1:43 cars so much that I will not allow them on my future layout. 1/50 I can deal with and is much closer to 1:48 than 1:43. I do not want super detailed models like what Brooklin makes nor do I want "hand built High quality collector items". All that does is increase the price. I don't care what the will be worth in the future. I will never pay the ridiculous price for one of those Brooklin models (no offense to Brooklin collectors) when it isn't even the same scale as my trains. All I want is every day cars from the '30s, '40s and '50s in the same price range and detail that is available for a $10-$15 1:43 car. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pay more. I paid over $20 for some of the Athearn 1/50 cars.

Every time this subject comes up we usually see hordes of folks saying that 1:43 is good enough. In this particular thread there does seem to be a lot of folks who want 1:48 scale vehicles. Let me add my voice to that list. I used to have under my signature "Still waiting for 1:48 vehicles" but I gave up on anyone ever producing them. The thing is a car or truck is a lot hard harder (at least in my opinion) to scratch build than a building. So all we really need are half way decent detailed cars that are the right physical size. I have thought about trying to start a business and import them myself but I don't have the business know-how nor the time to do it. I don't understand why it can't be done. Sure tooling must be built and bought but if tooling can be built and bought so that a 1:43 car can sell for $10 why can't it be done for a 1:48 car? In fact since there is slightly less material being used in theory it should be slightly cheaper to build.

In closing I will definitely buy some of your cars if you ever bring them to market. How many will depend on the price as I am on a budget but I plan to be in this hobby for a long time and over the years I will continue to buy them until I have enough for my layout.

pro hobby posted:

Here are a few Matchbox models that are presently available in 1:43 scale.  These are basic diecast models that would look good in 1:48 scale.

000_0757

000_0954

000_8539

One time I was at a local train show. I was looking at the Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" and the seller started talking to me. I told him I didn't like 1:43 models and I wouldn't buy any. He produced a book made by Matchbox and it showed many of the Matchbox models and it listed the scale (I don't believe it states the scale on the box) and the scales were all over the place. Sure a few of them were 1:43 but others were 1:45, 1:46, 1:47. I ended up buying one that was 1:47. I figured that was pretty darn close to 1:48. I am not sure if the models above are Models of Yesteryear but I thought I would relate that story. Too bad Matchbox doesn't make it more known what the scale of their cars are I would have bought more.

Paul Moore posted:

I would like to see trucks that are not the common Peterbilts, Kenworths, Freightliners, etc.  I want some Autocars, Brockways, Diamond T/Reo/Diamond Reo, White, Chevy, GMC, Marmon, etc.  And not just over the road tractors, things like rolloffs, dump trucks, trash truck, cement mixers, rollbacks, wreckers, etc.  These Autocars belong/belonged to my dad (photos taken pre-2008):

1984 Autocar4_fullcolorado2_fullFile0016

The green one now:
12832535_10206063101882349_3311122612931620994_n

Good suggestions. 

The green Autocar, is that a coal dump body? 

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with manufacturing models in China. If there is a particular manufacturer of interest, let me know please. I would also like to get feedback from retailers. 

I contacted a Canadian model train manufacturer and did get a lead. 

At this point, I wouldn't focus on which models I want. I'm more interested in producing what the market wants. I'll be posting on the 2 rail, ON30 and P48 forms as well. 

Thank you all for the feedback and keep it coming!

Are you going to bring them in through Seattle, LA or another port.  Which import broker will handle customs?  Is your first order large enough to fill a 20', 40' or larger container?  If a container load, do you want to break it at a US port or ship it inland to a warehouse? Will you sell everything to one distributor or case lots to retailers?  Who will handle the unloading of the container, breaking down to order size and distribution to retailers?  Just a few things to consider.   If in your shoes, I'd contact Die Cast Direct and ask why they have not contracted 1:48 models.  John

Last edited by rattler21

Scale: 1:43 or 1:48. Not 1:50

Material: die-cast metal ( I won't even consider plastic or resin)

Era: I'll consider any era, but I think you'll have more success marketing baby boomer cars (not necessarily that they drove, but which they relate to from childhood to early adulthood experiences), so 1950 to 1980

Model: Manufacturer whatever hasn't been made already in diecast metal in those scales. (If you duplicate what has already been produced, you'll be competing with the secondary market for those models.)

Personal favorite: Ford Mustang II coupe. The fastback version has been done in 1:45 (Tomy) and in racing versions roughly 1:43 (Matchbox) in diecast and the coupe has been done in 1:43 resin (NEO), but no 1:43 or 1:48 diecast coupe to date.

Silver Lake posted:

The line about the European o scale thing is pretty thin. There are FAR fewer O scale modelers in Europe than here. 1:43 is just the die cast car collectors standard. 

All the more reason there should be 1:48 scale vehicles.

The "die cast collectors standard" just happens to be the same scale as their trains. Why can't we have the same thing? That's all I am asking.

To the OP. You can do this. A bunch of HO scale enthusiasts started a company called Scale Model Trains and they were successful. However, if you crunch the numbers and it can't be done so be it. I don't want you to lose your shirt.

I forgot to comment on the price factor. Decent diecast should run more than $20 a car for a hobby market. The Kinsmart stuff you find in grocery or drug stores is the lowest quality possible, with thin metal castings, exceptionally cheap plastic frames and parts, and loose scale modeling. That's what you get for less than $5 mass market.

Aim for the quality that Ertl, Road Champs and (currently) GreenLight Collectibles put into their products.

Hudson J1e posted:
pro hobby posted:

Here are a few Matchbox models that are presently available in 1:43 scale.  These are basic diecast models that would look good in 1:48 scale.

000_0757

000_0954

000_8539

One time I was at a local train show. I was looking at the Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" and the seller started talking to me. I told him I didn't like 1:43 models and I wouldn't buy any. He produced a book made by Matchbox and it showed many of the Matchbox models and it listed the scale (I don't believe it states the scale on the box) and the scales were all over the place. Sure a few of them were 1:43 but others were 1:45, 1:46, 1:47. I ended up buying one that was 1:47. I figured that was pretty darn close to 1:48. I am not sure if the models above are Models of Yesteryear but I thought I would relate that story. Too bad Matchbox doesn't make it more known what the scale of their cars are I would have bought more.

Matchbox models were often scaled to fit the packaging without regard to scale. Therefore Matchbox models would be considered "approximate 1:43 scale."

What Weaver ran into, about manufacturers only wanting to build 1/43rd models, is probably based on their desire to sell a quantity world wide.  However, in one of my chameleon hobby explorations as a youth and car nut, I built a lot of 1/25th scale auto model kits.  One odd thing was that there was a large competitor of "AMT", maybe the best known, who built desired models, some not found elsewhere, in 1/24th scale.  I found that annoying.  A poster on here addressing this subject in the past has mentioned models built to fit a box.  I find THAT annoying,  as the reason you find so many weird sizes you  could otherwise use, in the "toy car" world.  I am guessing that Weaver was talking to foreign mfrs.   This is like the meter vs. yard world in which the U.S. has been big enough to do it our way, and I think probably could in this case.  There was some little U.S. company that made a whole lot of vintage truck models, but in 3/16 (S scale).  My suggestion to them that they could sell more in 1/48th was ignored, just as they blithely ignored that 1/43rd "standard".    What did happen to Ertl and some of the others, some centered in Iowa?  (but mostly building oversize, too)

rattler21 posted:

Are you going to bring them in through Seattle, LA or another port.  Which import broker will handle customs?  Is your first order large enough to fill a 20', 40' or larger container?  If a container load, do you want to break it at a US port or ship it inland to a warehouse? Will you sell everything to one distributor or case lots to retailers?  Who will handle the unloading of the container, breaking down to order size and distribution to retailers?  Just a few things to consider.   If in your shoes, I'd contact Die Cast Direct and ask why they have not contracted 1:48 models.  John

Great questions, John.  I live on the east coast of Canada. 

I model the transition era.  I do use some 1:50 scale cars toward the front of my layout and 1:43 in the distance.  Placing the vehicles in this fashion allows for a forced perspective look. 

I would purchase 1:48 scale vehicles from late 1930's to 1956 if the price were in $8.00 - $15.00 range.  

I'd also like to see Diamond/Reo trucks, Autocar, International, White, and Dodge, trucks in 1:50 scale and from the late 1930 - mid 1950s..... dump trucks, heating oil delivery trucks, box trucks, tractor trailers, dump trucks, trash trucks, stake body and flat bed trucks, Bell Telephone lineman and home service trucks, pick up trucks,  farm tractors,  delivery trucks such as dairy and bakery, panel trucks,  Also some 1:50 scale fire apparatus.... especially apparatus used in rural/and small town volunteer fire departments of the 1940 - 50's ... I realize fire apparatus is a micro segment of the O scale train hobby so I'm just throwing the idea out there to get the creative juices flowing.  

And how bout some 1940 - 50's school buses, transit, and Greyhound buses in 1:50 scale.  I'd be purchasing some of these for sure .... especially the school buses! 

Also ambulances ( hurst style ) Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Cady, Studebaker... 1930s - 1970s  ( I recall seeing this style of ambulance up until the late 1980s actually ) 

I'd definitely be in for purchasing the above trucks and fire equipment at say up to $50.00 

Last edited by trumptrain

My personal interest in buying would depend on what is made.

I have some very nice 1:43 scale (race cars and transporters, matchbox pick-up trucks with loads) AND some very nice 1:50 scale (mostly corgi trucks and trailers) that I don't ever plan to get rid of.  The key to having both on the layout, is just don't mix the two sizes together.

My own observation from purchasing some 1:43 race cars over the years, it that is seems the tooling moves from one manufacturer to another.  Some of it seems to be used on the high end cars then over time moves into cheaper cars.  It makes sense to do so, as the cheaper cars don't require the detailed tooling as the more expensive stuff.  If this is true, it helps reduce the cost of tooling for the users.

Someone mentioned Athern, they had some nice trucks a few years back.  Could even find them in the local hobby shops.  Guess they didn't sell at the price point that Athern needed, as they didn't seem to be around for very long, even with advertising in the hobby magazines.

O gauge modeling is a relatively small niche of the hobby.  1:48 kinda defines your potential customer base.  This is unlike the 1:43 market, where any o gauge hobbiest buying the models are just icing on the sales cake.

Good luck in your endeavors.  Unless you have money to burn, be very conservative in your number crunching.  Don't get carried away by 20, 30, or even 100 folks on this forum who might be enthusiastic about the prospects of buying 1:48 model cars and/or trucks.  You will find us to be a fickle lot.  Most folks will only buy certain vehicles (of certain time periods) and price point and detail quality are also factors.

Jim

Matt K  you  might want to consider  just making 1/48 sized  people  as the differences in out demand for cars and trucks is almost over whelming

at least if you could get the Chinese  or who every you are dealing to make figures that look a bit more American   you    bulky   not like those skinny figures from  - Me No Cheat You   Company    --   you might have a better chance at selling  your stuff    .....  as to cars and trucks  well reading the  above messages we are all over the  market place,    and you will never be able  to have the dies made for all these  wishes       I tried several times writing to manufactures of  toy trucks  in particular, even to New Ray  and   never even had  a courtesy  reply  ....        and i was asking for only one type and model      a  Mack B 61  and a Fruehauf  trailer done in red  

You biggest problem will be getting interested enough to listen  and since you do not have any sales figures  you are not  going to be able to convince them to put money into retooling  when you cannot guarantee a return on investment  .....

As far as distribution,  once you have them making the stuff,  they will have a list of  brokers, dealers,   in between men and  every thing else they will need to get the stuff to the market place .    And you might  get  a great big thank you from all of us  for your efforts .

On the lighter side perhaps you could convince  the manufactures to produce what you need , if you provide the lobster   !!!!

Some random thoughts here......

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on anything. I have worked in the hobby biz for many years from retailer, manufacture.

1. 1/25 scale was 'invented' because big 3 US auto manufactures gave model companys 1/10 scale wooden bucks of the new cars coming out. A 2.5 ratio pantagraph was used to 'trace' the bucks....thus 1/25 scale. !/24 scale used by others was just based off 1/2" to foot. Box scale did not come into play with most model cars. That was a plane and ship thing.

2. The 1/48 scale automotive project sounds fantastic. I've talked to folks about it for years.  I currently work with a plastic kit manufacture and they produce most of their items in China. I've pitched the idea to them....but it's an 'unproven market' that they do not see crossing over into other ends of the hobby spectrum enough to make it viable. That does not mean it wll not work....just they will not put out the cash to try. They did offer to help me invest my cash in a project of 1/48 scale cars.....more a way to shut me up....but I decided not to go there.

3. The boring stuff like finance. shipping, import 'logistics' (hate that term) LICENSING  (any replica of a US manufactured car will require OK from owner.......and yes....we pay a license fee on our HUDSON car kits.....even though they went out in 1957) and many other tasks will eat all your free time and then some. BTW cash is the easy part of licensing......getting the owner to talk to you is harder. 

4. 1/48 scale in China is not an issue but will cost you more than a 1/43. Tooling cut in China tends to stay there. I'll not get into the politics......but that's the norm. A tooling company knows that and figures after you end your project they will still have the 'assets' to use in one way or another. So want 1/48.....you will pay 100% plus cost as it is not usable later. 

5. Still interested??? If so I applaud you. I do not pay the bills, fight the fights, arrange shipping and customs etc.....but the little bit I do can be frustrating. I have had great joy seeing something I had a hand in land at my front door, open it and see my work.....manufactured half way around the world.   But my work is 99% fun.....the head man gets the headaches. 

I have some ideas that I think would work for a 1/48 scale line of cars. I'll not go into them here.....if you want to talk or any input I'd be happy to talk offline.....e-mail is in my profile.  But look at it this way......start today and look for product first of the year 2018......that's were we are right now. 

Good luck in whatever you do.

Dave

Last edited by AMCDave

Just a thought, IF the numbers are too low for 1:48, you can do well with cars and light trucks in 1:50 scale. Only heavy duty modern trucks from the 2000 to current year and construction equipment seems to be done in 1:50 scale.

But in 1:48 there is a daft of tractors, hard top 4 door cars and light trucks. and especially for O scale, rr work trucks from the 1960-s through the 1990's!

I have looked into 3D laser printing 1/48 scale cars. Obviously, I first need a model of the car to print. virtually all models are on various 3D model sites.

However, the cost for each "car model-file" is between $100-300.00. on Turbo-squid. So a group of say 10 vehicles could be costly.

I would print them in clear resin to account for the windshield, lights and then paint the bodies. This might be a problem as the interiors would have a lot of sprue supports that would need to be clipped off.

2016 chevrolet volt 3d model

Chevrolet Volt 2016

$129.

audi a4 sedan obj

Audi A4 2016

$199
city vehicles 1 3d model

Low Poly City Vehicles vol.1

$599

MODELS LIST:

SEDANS
2013 BMW 6er Gran Coupe
2013 Cadillac ATS
2011 Chevrolet Cruze
2014 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Dodge Dart
2013 Lexus ES 350
2013 Lincoln MKZ
2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS
2013 Nissan Altima
2012 Toyota Camry

HATCHBACKS
2013 Honda Fit EV
2012 Kia cee'd
2013 Mercedes-Benz A-Klasse W176
2014 Mini Paceman

COUPES
2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe
2013 Scion FR-S
2013 SRT Viper

SUVS
2013 Honda CR-V
2013 Infiniti JX35
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2012 Land Rover LR2
2013 Mazda CX-5
2013 Nissan Pathfinder
2012 Range Rover
2012 Range Rover Evoque
2013 Toyota Land Cruiser

MINIVANS
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid
2011 Honda Odyssey

TRUCKS
2006 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Ford F-150 Limited

COMMERCIAL
2012 Ford E-150
2007 Freightliner Sprinter
2012 GMC Savana
2012 International Durastar Box Van
2012 Nissan NV

LIMOUSINES
2000 Ford Excursion Limo
2008 Hummer H2 Limo
2006 Lincoln Town Car Limo

SOCIAL
2008 Hummer H2 Police
2012 International Durastar Ambulance
2014 Nissan NV200 Taxi

RV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Actioncamper
2009 Triple E Empress
2013 Triple E Regency GT
2008 Weekend Warrior RDK 3000 Toy Hauler

BUSES
2007 MAN Lion's Coach C
2008 Setra S431D

LORRIES
2013 International LoneStar NASCAR Hauler
2002 Volvo VN Cargo Box
Last edited by AlanRail

ATHEARN FORD C SERIES BOX VAN 1:50 SCALE

This model could also be useful in exact 1:48 scale.

This diecast metal model is well detailed including fully underframe details. The treaded tires are rubber.

Notes:

The Ford C-Series was a medium-duty cab-over engine (COE) truck built by the Ford Motor Company between 1957 and 1990. While advertisers boasted of its versatility, it was used primarily for local delivery, and fire apparatus.

ATHEARN FORD SERIES BOX VAN 001

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ATHEARN FORD SERIES BOX VAN 001
Last edited by pro hobby
jd-train posted:

Dave,

Interesting fact about the birth of 1/25 scale.  I guess, different times, when companies saw the PR value in models being made of their products.

Jim

What's more interesting is in place of license fee's paid by hobby manufactures.......the Big 3 PAID the hobby company to make them......we'd not have the plastic model hobby if they had not done this. Thanks!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.