Skip to main content

My K-Line K-29802 PA-1 ABA diesel set has dual motors in both A-units. The motor in the rear of the lead A-unit has stopped running. The other three motors are still running normally. I've examined the wiring to/from the problem motor. I don't see an obvious issue.

This set has years of run-time on it. Do the "maintenance-free" can motors sometimes just fail? If the motor has failed, would the simplest solution be to just remove the the motor? Wouldn't three motors in an ABA set provide enough drawbar pull for most consists?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

'Can' motors can and do fail. If you have a bad motor in a 2 motor locomotive, I would suggest removing it to prevent dragging the truck without the wheels turning.

First, check to see all wiring is intact to the suspect motor. Then check the voltage at the motor terminals to make sure it is getting power.

With just 3 motors, your maximum consist length will drop by a few cars, but you should be able to run a shorter train.

Larry

Thank you, gentlemen, for your assistance. Here's how it came out:

I checked the voltage at the motor terminals, and it was fine. So...I removed the failed motor. But that was easier said than done.

I always appreciated that K-Line was thoughtful enough in designing these engines to provide grease ports--a great convenience. However, in extricating the motor, I realized why they provided grease ports. Because of the Rube Goldberg way the motor and the power truck mate, dropping the power truck and/or removing the motor is major surgery. Here's what the operating room table looked like just after the motor came out:

Anyhow, I put the patient back together, and the lead A-unit by itself and the ABA consist run just fine without the second motor in the lead A-unit. Three motors seem to be plenty.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip1

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.